Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chaemaebatiaria millefolium

Posted by davids10 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 12:36

a 6ft raggedy ass disreputable sort of thing until it blooms-wonderful scent and a favorite of the little pollinators

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chaemaebatiaria millefolium

What is it? it would be welcomed in my garden if it could deal with the elements. I like raggedy ass.

o

OH yea, dumb me , It is in the the thread title.

o

Do you know of people growing it in areas with hotter winters? Every one is in Z 6 or 7 that I here talking about it. I sit in 8b. I lone its fern leaves and form, TXRanger, are you successful with it?

David, how is your treatment of it?

o

wantonamara it grows in the hottest driest sunniest area. last summer it went for a couple of months with no water, wasnt happy but came through. its native to california mountains pretty much north to south.

o

Ahhh!, Very nice!

Omar

o

What kind of soil do you have it in ? if you get seed, I would be interested in some. We are probably too hot AND humid. But I could try.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 1:54

o

That is one I've wanted for some time. I had my order all filled out when High Country Gardens threw everything on markdown before closing their doors and realized I'd waited 30 minutes too long when I turned in my order at 12:30am on the last day--and missed it. Still makes me crazy to this day and THAT PLANT was #1 on my list. Its a very slow grower but I think it would do OK here. Its mature height is 8 ft and its evergreen in warm climates.

I like the leaves very much. Great Basin Natives carries it for a reasonable price and Jaedite in NM bought one, I think, at PoSW. I haven't ordered it since the spot I had in mind originally now has a desert holly growing in it.

It would take forever from seed. I'd order from Great Basin, you can get a gallon sized plant for $9.95. They are great to order from, its a real small outfit.

o

texas ranger: i bought mine in kanab utah as a 3 in pot-local grocery store with a great nursery-not worth a special trip-but if you are there. . . . this is its 4th year-first 2 winters died back to the ground. if i gave it more water i think it would be a moderate grower once established. it was another of fendlers discoveries-that guy was all over. the plant smells like desert rain.

o

OH now , you've done it, David . I am jumping in the car and driving there right now to small that desert rain. Primal stuff.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 22:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here