Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pride of Barbados

Posted by jadiggle Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:41

How and when do I start pods of a Pride of Barbados? In a pot or ground?
Would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions..

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pride of Barbados

What zone are you in? If you start them now (in pots) they will need winter protection unless you are in zone nine. They get nipped here in San Antonio. If a killing freeze comes through mine have died.

o

I thought mine was dead, Kathy, but the little critter sprouted late and is about two feet tall now. Don't know if it would make a harsh winter though, even though it is pretty protected and in a microclimate.

o

I have collected seeds but never planted them yet so I want to know too!

Mine has been in ground for 4 years now, is taller than me and blooming right now. I planted it on the sheltered south side of the house. It does die back to roots every winter and believe me, in this zone I cover the roots with a mountain (2 big bags) of mulch in the fall and when it begins to warm up in the spring, I pull the mulch back to expose it.

o

I didn't even mulch mine, Pam, totally forgot it, and was very surprised when it came back. Not as big as yours though, so this winter it gets the same treatment as the brugs!

o

It gets bigger every year Carrie. The first spring after I overwintered it outside, it only got 2-3 feet tall.

o

soak them overnight and plant them in pots or the ground.
Mine usually goes dormant in winter, I cut it back whenever it gets too big.
You should have a decent size plant going If you start them now, they love heat.
Tally HO!

o

I always start mine in pots. They grow pretty quickly and always come back in the Spring here on the coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here