Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pride of Barbados Not Blooming

Posted by lostribe Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 12:54

I got a container Pride of Barbados last year. I am in Dallas. We had a hard winter. I had it covered for part of it but then gave up and just mulched it real good. It survived. It looks healthy and is over two feet tall and about 3 feet wide, but it is now mid-July and it has not bloomed or made seed pods. Last year when I had it, it had a couple of seed pods and was blooming (orange). I have put Callaway's fertilizer pellets for blooming plants on the soil and watering it daily. Does it take some special fertilizer to bloom or something? I know I am a bit far north to keep these in optimum health.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pride of Barbados Not Blooming

Mine has been in ground for several years, maybe 4 or 5 and had it's first blooms today. They go from buds to blooms in a week, so you will be seeing some color soon.

I treat mine like everything else in that garden area. About an inch of water a week and rare fertilizer. I hit it with alfalfa pellets in March. Mine is about 6 feet tall right now.

I was so relieved to see it come up after this past winter. My brugs finally came up in early July.

o

pkponder,

I would love to see a picture of your Pride of Barbado. I'm starting a few from seeds, and you're giving me hope that they can grow and thrive in the DFW area.

o

Here ya go Kachana. I've had this one in ground, southern exposure and protected by houses for 4 years. It freezes to the roots and comes back every spring. I do put about a 12 inch layer of mulch over her in the fall after first freeze.

Today she is taller than me, so about 6'

photo POBJuly22_zps9c349050.jpg

a really pretty native Turks Cap

photo TurksCap_zpsa1b2e231.jpg

Leadwort, AKA Hardy Plumbago ...love this stuff in the shade!

photo Leadwort_zps629b691c.jpg

o

Very pretty! The Turk's cap looks really pretty also. Thanks for sharing all these pictures.

I guess it's not possible to get the pride of Barbados to grow as a tree as it dies every winter? I was hoping to grow and prune one as a shade tree.

Again, thanks for your help.

o

Only if you like shade in a tall greenhouse. I have seen another tree similar that is huge, growing in a yard in Granbury. I'll find the name and edit this post.

I searched and searched...I saw this particular tree at Stewart's Nursery in Weatherford last spring, but cannot find the name for the life of me.

This post was edited by pkponder on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:41

o

LOL @ the shade tree in a greenhouse!

Thanks for trying. I was at a friend's house last night, and in her neighborhood, I saw a huge mimosa tree (similar leaves). Could that be the one you were thinking of?

o

No, this was no mimosa. It has yellowish orange blooms similar in look to POB, but was really a huge tree. The trunk itself had a 3-5 foot circumference. If you ever get to Granbury, this tree is west of the square, in a neighborhood near the school bus depot. It has green branches and part of the trunk was a green color also with what appeared to be thorns all over the trunk. I never stopped to ask what it was, but saw one last spring at Stewart's Nursery for $99.

I need to make a road trip and get pictures :-)

I think it is a palo verde tree.

This post was edited by pkponder on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 13:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here