Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying this vine (possibly invasive)

Posted by gardenhorn 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 13:42

Hi all. This vine has completely overtaken everything in this neglected bed. Can anybody ID it?

Invasive Vine 1

Invasive Vine 2

Invasive Vine 3

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying this vine (possibly invasive)

Looks like wild morning glory to me.

o

• Posted by jhix 8b San Antonio (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 15:23

Also known as bindweed. Twines over everything.
Regrows like crazy. The link below discusses elimination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bindweed

o

Wow, looks like my work is cut out for me.

Thanks!

o

A subject near and dear to my heart. I must have pulled up a hundred yards of morning glory roots and sprayed a couple of gallons of Roundup, to no effect. Glyphosate will kill the foliage, but the concentrations of it in ordinary Roundup just seem to stimulate the root systems (individual underground runners, half again as thick as a pencil, can be well over 20 ft long.)

The Roundup you buy by the gallon off the shelf at Home Depot contains 2% glyphosate. You can get a more concentrated form which contains 48% glyphosate. If you research this a bit, you will come across suggestions that you soak the root end of morning glory in this Satan water for an extended period. My battle plan (soon as I get around to it) is to cut and scrape a root end, tie a large cotton swab around it, drench it with the 48% solution, and seal it off with a piece of plastic and a rubber band.

Oh, and it also springs up all over the place through seeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here