Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite climbing rose?

Posted by kumquatlady (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 13:48

I just bought Golden shower, Don juan cl rose. Never grew climbing roses in TX. Does anyone has experience with Golden shower? What Climber gives spectacular bloom year around?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite climbing rose?

Don Juan is my hands down favorite. It's done the best for me, blooming 10-11 month out of the year and growing like crazy: I live near Houston.
Don Juan is also disease resistant. I don't spray it, fertilize it, water it, anything. Easier than an old tree.

Lady Banks is good for Austin, but only blooms once a year.

o

I don't have a lot of climbers, but have been very impressed with Westerland so far.

o

i like my climbing souvenir de la malmason (don't know if spelled that right) a lot also the rev d or and mutiblis

the sdlm only blooms profusely in spring and sporadically after that but in spring it smells marvelous the best
(it's pink)

o

I second Rev D'Or. It is blooming even in this heat. Very small blooms, bur blooming.
Mine grows as a rambler. I did not realize it could be used as a climber when I planted it.

Photobucket

o

Plantmaven,
Your roses are beautiful. It's amazing that it will bloom so well in this heat. Do you fertilize and water all the time?

o

Red cascade a mini climber. It is nearly evergreen and ever blooming.

o

I apologize. I should have stated that was a spring picture. The ones now are not as many and about 1/4 that size.

They are sometimes fed if we remember to do so.
Today I bought Black Kow composted manure. A friend swears by it. She said because it is composted, it does not burn them. So I thought I would try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here