Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllisb2008

Fall gardening!

phyllisb2008
10 years ago

I would like to do a fall garden this year so I need some ideas so tell me what does good in the Dallas area other than Peppers and Tomatoes and when should I plant? I have 3 Artichokes that go in the ground around October I was told. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• gama_garden_tx
    10 years ago

Lots of stuff can be started (from seed) now:

Beets
    Radishes
    Kale
    Beans
    Greens
    Mustard greens
    Carrots
    Chard
    Cilantro
    Spinach (may need shade cloth now)
    Lettuce (may need shade cloth now)
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower

Pretty much anything you would start in the spring can be grown as a 2nd crop for fall in TX, including cucumbers. If you start them from seedlings now. For starting from seeds, now is a great time to start the seeds for the winter garden like the ones mentioned in the list.

July/August is the time to start seeds in TX for fall/winter crop. Some delicate crops like lettuce may need a shade cloth for a couple of months so they don't fry. Break out all the seeds leftover from the spring & plant! :)

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

I'm interested in trying rutabagas this fall. I live in Houston. Anyone know if rutabagas can be successfully grown this far south and if so, when to start them? I have researched planting times in Harris County but don't find much on rutabagas, just turnips and collards.

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems like rutabagas would be the same as turnips. Some years the turnips are good and some years hot and hard as a brick

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I grew rutabaga over last winter. I will be planting soon. The agrilife says planting turnips happens mid september in Travis County.

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the greens and they do very well all winter.

• AnnaInTexas
    10 years ago

Gama_garden_tx, do i plant them (the list of veggies) directly in soil or inside the house in pods and then transfer?

• bootscootengal
    10 years ago

I am going to start mine in trays and then transplant. maybe the grasshoppers will die soon and I can plant em.

• gymgirl2
    10 years ago

I find that starting "cole crop" (winter veggies) seedlings indoors under my fluorescent lights gives me several advantages over direct sowing outside:
    1. I have a terrible pillbug population and a seedling doesn't stand a chance

2. Growing indoors gives me a larger seedling to plant out, especially the broccs and cauliflowers which should go out with about 5-8 true leaves.

3. I can work with the temperature timing much better starting seeds indoors. Last season, I transplanted the broccs and caulis outdoors in mid-September, and it was still too hot for them. They struggled until the temps dipped below 70 degrees. This season, I can time the seed sowing better, so the temps will already be cool by them time I transplant out. They'll take of like bottle rockets once they feel that chill outdoors!

4. Starting seeds indoors is just plain FUN for me!

Linda

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert