Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels eating your GREEN tomatoes?!!?

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 14:00

I'm behond mad!!! My tomatoes that were fully loaded with green tomatoes from the size of limes on up are ALL gone! The squirrels got a taste of the GREEN ones and cleaned them off. We saw a squirrel sitting on the fence the other day munching on a green that was the size of an orange so we know it's squirrels. This is the first time I've ever experienced this. Our Asian pear tree was LOADED with pears this spring and we didn't get a single pear due to the squirrels. Same with the peach tree. Same with the pecan tree. Now tomatoes??!! Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels eating your GREEN tomatoes?!!?

I had a neighbor that built large "boxes" fron chicken wire and 1x1s They turned them upside down over the garden plants.
I think they were about 4x4ft.What ever height you want. Light weight enough that they were easy to lift for harvesting.

Kathy

o

I feel sorry for you and the squirrels. What a brutal year.
My squirrels might be the wierdest squirrels in the universe, IDK. I have strawberries and tomatoes fruiting right now. I also have a TON of squirrels and a resident rabbit too. They seem to prefer the wildlife plants over my human crops. They didn't go after my sugar snap peas earlier in the season either. Maybe it's because there is a Kiefier pear they are more used to. Maybe it's becasue of a huge pecan tree nearby. Maybe it's the acorns on the Chinkapin I planted (a very sweet acorn). I have my garden designed to attract wildlife including lots of water. Maybe they fill up on water and aren't as hungry? You could try planting some native berry/grass/fruit stuff and see if they like it more than your human food?

o

Racoons are strippimg my pear trees at night.

Every morning there is a mess of green leaves and half eaten unripe pears scattered about.

I trapped one last year, but have decided to just give up.

o

I think pj is right, I didn't want to jinx myself but we also have lots of squirrels and so far they have not messed with the garden. They do visit the bird bath for drinks several times a day, I think they are just desperate for water/moisture. Mockingbirds on the other hand...grrr

o

Oh yes, the mockingbirds!!! First it was them pecking and eating the tomatoes the second they had even the slightest yellowing. I picked my tomatoes greenish yellow and brought them in to ripen.

o

In the past I've had birds
and squirrels, too,
get my tomatoes.
I did two things different this year.

I invested in an Owl 'scare crow'.
Very realistic and life sized owl,
With a head that moves in the breeze.
Also hung used CDs from the tomato cages.
When the plants covered them,
I put stakes in the ground with a small cross piece
To hang the CD from.
So far. . . . .
(knock on wood)
No damage from squirrels or birds.

And the CDs are really kind of pretty,
Flashing a rainbow of pretty colors in the bright sun.

Rusty

o

I like CDs for the way they look too. A mocking bird did snitch a couple strawberries before finding wild grapes better.

o

I went so far as to put up a chicken wire fence all around my tomato plants this year! The squirrels are STILL eating them...tried brushing garlic water over them, then sprinkling with tabasco Sauce. I'm ready to give up, except someone on this forum mentioned moth balls? While I'm not crazy about sprinking them on the earth as they are pretty toxic, I'll try just about anything (other than killing them...)!!! Any more ideas???any that WORK???

o

Put your moth balls in some kind of mesh bag and hang it on something to keep the birds and other critters from injesting them. The results are the same without the danger.

o

Paint some type of balls red and hang them on the plants. After a few bites of tennis or styrofoam balls the critters leave them alone.
Of course that would work on a normal year.
I use red xmas balls. But you have to remember to buy them at Xmas.
I was just thinking....maybe artifical fruit would be better.

o

Red xmas balls really work?! The dratted birds ate the green (and green colored) pomegranates this year way before they were ready-- at the beginning of July!

o

Yes, the red xmas balls really worked for me many times. You have to hang them on the plants well before you have any tomatoes. By the time you have fruit the birds will have decided the glass or styro taste terrible.
I have used them on my fruit trees also.

o

The squirrels are starving this year, they'll eat anything.

Cage the tomatoes.
Feed the squirrels--well away from your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here