Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large tree coming down would you keep the remains?

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:12

Hi All
The tree guy is here. He's taking the half dead and dying old catalpa. My plan is to keep the chipped remains, pile them in the west facing area where it has lived and plant another tree later this year. I anticipate a large pile. Is there any reason not to pile it near the house? Have you done anything like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large tree coming down would you keep the remains?

My concern is that bring too close to the house is the termites. My brother in law is a pestman and he's obsessed with termites. Lol.

o

Hmmmm never thought about termites. I kept a big pile of fresh mulch and 1 significant chunk of trunk to set things on like the string trimmer when I try to get it going or a bag of something that waiting to go from front to back.

The tree guy is talented. The catalpa was at least 2 ft across the bottom and about 30 ft tall. Many dead and dying branches. One guy took it down this afternoon in a western facing spot. He arrived around 12:15 and finished about 6 15. He took breaks and did it all himself. Used a hoist to load chunks of trunk into his truck and haul it away.

o

I really value having chipped up tree limbs for mulch handy. I have the tree guys dump them in an open area when I can catch them. In all the years I've taken the pile to the bottom I've never seen termites, or any signs of rats; which is another thing people worry about getting into piles of mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here