Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus Fruit Juice

Posted by mrs.wiggley 8 Hill Country (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:17

I suppose due to the plentiful spring rains, the cactus pears are especially plump and delicious looking this year and so I decided to begin harvesting some for use. They are packed with Vitamin C and fiber. They are a bit of work but I'm getting the hang of it and have gotten over my intimidation of the prickly part. I used tongs to collect and handle them and the relatively few fine hairs on the pears were easy to remove with a vegetable brush.
The video explains the rest and there are other videos of interest on that page related to using cactus. I would only add that when you've got the blended cactus pear juice in a mesh strainer (I skipped the cloth) you have to stir it around to help it through the mesh or otherwise you end up throwing out the good jelly-like pulp with the seeds.
I mixed the strained cactus pear juice in a blender with watermelon, some fresh mint leaves and a squeeze of lime. Yum!
I'm guessing the juice would also be amazing included in a homemade sangria.

If you are harvesting your prickly cactus pears I'd love to hear what you are doing with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to prepare cactus pears

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus Fruit Juice

I see them everywhere. I've been looking into growing them, so I can have a Fred Flintstone Sangria too!

In case you need a Margarita-

3 ounces tequila blanco
1/2 -ounce Cointreau or TripleSec or Curacao
1 1/2 ounces lime juice
2 ounces prickly pear syrup
Kosher salt and turbinado sugar, for garnishing the glass

:) Have a lovely time with your Cactus Juice!

o
RE: Cactus Fruit Juice

Thanks for the recipe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here