Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the right time to plant for fall?

Posted by GreenSerenity none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 14:28

Hi all,
I am confused about when the right time to plant for fall is in Texas zone 8.

According to this calendar:
http://www.co.travis.tx.us/agext/garden/veggies/planting/julsep.asp

Now is the time to plant tomato plants. But I cannot find a single nursery in the area, or lowe's etc, that has transplants in stock right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the right time to plant for fall?

It is kind of confusing isn't it? it's tough to find much of a selection of any kind of vegetable plant this time of year. In my experience a fall garden for heat loving plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc) is kind of a crapshoot. One early cold snap is all it takes to kill those plants off. I think that's why most places don't sell transplants now. One option is starting transplants from seed but that date was probably a month ago. Or maybe look at things that can take a little cooler weather- a lot of those can be direct seeded.

If I was gong to check anyplace for transplants it would be Natural Gardener. I know in the spring they have an awesome selection of veggies.

Hope this helps- Lisa

o
RE: When is the right time to plant for fall?

If you plant tomatoes & peppers now, best to cover the cage with a shade cloth until September. Winter crops don't go in for a couple of months yet, so it's a good time to clean out the gardens, put in more compost, cover with mulch and drink a big glass of iced tea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here