Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone grow indigofera kirillowii (false indigo)

Posted by jardineratx 9tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 14:47

I was given a start of this plant a few months ago with no information regarding its care other than it blooms continuously and is very carefree. I repotted it into a larger pot and it is now putting out beautiful wisteria-like pink blooms. I want to know more about its care before I place it in any of my garden beds. Anyone have info on this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone grow indigofera kirillowii (false indigo)

I never heard of it. Do you have a picture? (Normally,I just lurk. Been reading here for years.)
MaryEllen

o

I have not grown it............only pink indigo, and this year a friend gave me a start of Himalayan indigo (beautiful plant, BTW), but I do grow false plumbago......does that count?????

o

I grew this plant several years ago under a large water oak tree. I really liked this plant - it did bloom a lot and didn't require any care. However, when we had the water oak removed, I transplanted the indigo to another bed that had no tree root competition. It started to spread so rapidly that I sadly decided to get rid of it. If I had a contained planting area surrounded by cement (or some other substantial barrier) I would probably grow this again because I liked it so much; but my experience was that without the tree root competition it was what I would consider invasive. In doing research, I found that there are several types of indigo, and some reported to spread more than others. Also, I seem to remember that some sources thought that the different kinds were often confused in commerce.

o

This is a photo of plant I referring to. Sorry about the size,but I was unable to resize it.
MollyPhotobucket

o

Gee, Molly, that looks for the world like my pink indigo, and I have never found it to be invasive. I get so confused when plants look so similiar.

o

http://www.plantdelights.com/Indigofera/products/218/

o

Nice plant! I suppose any "indigo" other than i. tinctoria of dye fame is "false" in that respect, but wonder if 'false indigo' is a common name in general use for this one? Seems just 'indigo' or 'Chinese indigo' are used most often. I'm already challenged keeping the "false" natives amorpha fruticosa (false indigo) and baptisia australis (blue false indigo) straight. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here