Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Are your daylilies blooming?

IdaClaire
14 years ago

Mine aren't! :-( They had been doing beautifully (they're new to my bed this season), but now aren't sending up any flowers at all. Is it just too darn hot here (considering it's 105 in the freakin' shade at the moment)?

Comments (13)

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

I have some ditch lilies blooming, but that's it right now.

• jardineratx
    14 years ago

When you say that your daylilies are no longer blooming, are you talking about repeat blooming varieties. A great deal of daylilies do not repeat, regardless of temps, water, etc. If your repeat bloomers are not blooming, however, it may be due to the heat and/or drought. I have several blooming now--Forbidden Dream, Ida's Magic, Seeing Red,Yellow Landscape Supreme, as well as several other NOID daylilies. My once-bloomers, however, are through with their bloom cycles. If you know the names of your daylilies, you can find information on this website:
    http://db.tinkersgardens.com/
    Molly

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link to the database - looks like a great resource! I'll have to check the tag from one of the plants (which I saved) to be sure of which variety I have.

My blue Nile lilies are blooming like crazy, and I sure wish my daylilies were blooming alongside them, as I think the gold against the soft blue would be a nice combination!

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

Daylilies blooming this time of year I consider gifts from the gods. Despite the heat, rebloom this year has been especially good for me. Still blooming are:

Two Part Harmony
    Elfin Envoy
    Heaven's Glory
    Savannah Debutante
    Make Believe Magic
    So Lovely
    Aztec Gold
    Orchid Corsage
    China Lake
    Frans Hals
    All Fired Up
    Orange Velvet
    Piano Man

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

I also have some still blooming but, like my roses, the blooms don't look as good as they should. Were yours planted out of pots or were they bare root? I have found that most of the plants I receive bare root hardly EVER bloom the season that I get them. But then it's always a nice surprise the next year when they do!

Lynn

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

mine are plain ole walmart daylilies & we've been bloomless for a while

• alley
    14 years ago

Blooming??? I'm just trying to keep mine alive and the leaves green. They have quite a few dead leaves, almost to the point that I'm not sure there is even a plant there anymore. I don't remember them doing this last year.

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

If they're getting enough water, don't worry about keeping the leaves green. Many of mine go summer dormant and they'll green up again later on. Makes for a scraggly bed this time of year.

Lynn, most of the bareroot plants that I got in the ground by mid-April bloomed this year.

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

alley, they are probably trying to hide from the sun :)

There are very few of my daylily plants that look very good right now as far as foliage is concerned. The ones in pots (in partly shaded conditions and getting lots of water) look absolutely fine but many of the ones in the ground seem to be trying to hide, like you describe. I think they do this every year but always come back, especially if they are the semi-evergreen or evergreen varieties. I have had some trouble with dormant varieties coming back so I try to avoid those here.

Lynn

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

The Stella D'Oro are, but not the rest.

• Taralyn
    14 years ago

Moonlit Masquerade has been unbelievable this year, still putting out blooms, although smaller, and going off in multiples instead of singles. Orange Velvet is hanging in there, and I am still getting an occasional SpaceCoast Firestarter, despite the fact that it blooms early. I have a couple of miniatures blooming, but don't know the names. Fashion Police and Buttered Popcorn were sputtering the first two weeks of July but just stopped this week. Normally I would have at least 3-4 more merrily blooming but the heat is just killer.

terry

• bjb817
    14 years ago

Nope, they're done, at least for now.

I'm not sure what variety they are as we "inherited" them with the house. They were booming nicely a month ago though. You know, back when it wasn't 100+ every day and we actually had rain now and then...

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Ok, here is the variety in my yard, out of all the many ones I have, that is seeming to be totally unaffected by the heat.

KATHY CHENET

The color is actually more coral than rusty looking as it appears in my picture. It put out a flush of blooms about 6 weeks ago and just now has put out several more scapes with multiple buds. The flowers seem to be about the same shade and size (large!) as the earlier blooms. I did get this one online.

Lynn