Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of egg could this be?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 15:00

We came home about 1:00 PM today to find this mess on the patio ...

It's obviously a fresh egg as traces of the yolk and clear white could be seen. The shell is brittle, but thicker with more texture than a hen egg ...

Size comparison to a large hen egg ...

Evidentally one of the dogs found it and brought it up to the patio to eat. The yard is fenced. Where could it have come from and what kind of creature laid it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of egg could this be?

Looks like it might be a turtle egg to me. We had a mama turtle lay some in my big pile of wood chips recently. They are oblong like that.

Teri

o

Teri, this seems a little large for most turtles. I have ornate box turtles in the yard. Their eggs are oblong, but leathery. What kind of turtles do you have around there?

o

I'm thinking a hawk just have dropped an egg while flying over. Does that ever happen I wonder? There's no trees in my yard holding hawk nests which I assume would be pretty large and built high up. I would think they'd be more likely to nest in the woods around here anyway. But it seems a little large for a hawk egg, plus isn't this the wrong time of year for hawks, or anything else, to be laying eggs?

o

fascinating! This would haave me wondering every time I walked out, looked up etc etc
c

o

This is the turtle that laid the eggs in my wood chips.

I don't know what kind it is but the eggs I had were easily as big as what you have pictured.

Photobucket

o

That is a BIG turtle and is a different variety than my 'ornate box turtles'. Do you have a creek nearby? I wonder if it could be a water turtle. They get much larger than the box turtles.

Once when we were on vacation my brother found a water turtle that washed down the normally dry creek near my house and he put it in my back yard. It was huge. I took it to the Salado creek, a permanently running tributary of the San Antonio River where there were many turtles, and let it go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here