Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mafatio

Front yard Plants.

mafatio
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am building a home and would like to know what plants are great for the North Texas Climate? I am trying to decide on the plants for my front yard.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

• fairview
    14 years ago

I would stick to the trouble free basics that are adapted to out soils and climate. Instead of the evergreen Yaupon Holly that every subdivision yuppies home has, I would search for some nice deciduous Yaupon Holly. Make sure it has berries when you buy it. During the winter, they drop their leaves and the remaining berries look like little red Xmas lights until the birds eat them. Instead of Foster Holly as a specimen planting look at a Mary Nell Holly. They're hard to find but worth it IMO. Stay away from Chinese Holly because of mildew problems. Stay away from privets unless you like to trim these fast growers. Needle Palms will give you a different look. Cold hardy to 0F. They are painfully slow growing so only buy nice 7 gallons or above or you'll move or die of old age before it fills in. They also like filtered shade to full sun but I wouldn't put them against a south wall with reflected heat. very drought tolerant once established. Mine went through the 05-06 drought with no supplemental water and the fans never burned. Crinum Lilies will give you a nice tropical look. Instead of monkey grass plant semi-evergreen day lilies. The foliage look is very similar but the blooms of the monkey grass is outstanding after a few years. Check out http://www.argyleacres.com/ for southern iris. They are close to Lewisville. For trees if you want Oak I would look at Bur Oak if your lot is large enough. They are not susceptible to oak decline like the red oaks. Desert Willows are another nice choice but sometimes borers like them but they are pretty. Red Bud and Mexican Plum are also nice choices for the smaller lots.

That should get you going

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

mafatio, what kind of look do you like? And evergreen or deciduous?

• mafatio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mr./Ms. Fairview,

Thank you so much. I was complete stranger to all the plants that you had suggested. So I googled the images to get an idea, of how they looked. And they are just beautiful. Thank you so much once again.

Marti,
    I plan to go for evergreen look (let me know if it is a wishful thinking for Irving/TX weather).

My builder's contracted gardener has suggested these plants for the front yard. (It seems that these names are from a different solar system)
    1. Ligustrum Recurvifolium
    2. ILEX Cornuta Burfordii Rana
    3. Buxus SPP
    4. Spirea Bumalda Anthory Waterer
    5. Raphiolepsis Indica Clara
    6. Berberis SPP

Phewww....

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

The City of Arlington (next door to you) provides lists of recommended plants with lots of information you might find helpful.

Four chapters of the Native Plant Society of Texas in the metroplex provide informational lists of plants native to North Central Texas that you might find helpful. North Central Texas (Fort Worth), Trinity Forks (Denton), Collin County (McKinney), and Garland chapters are the ones to look for. **** www.npsot.org **** Click on chapters to find websites for each chapters, then look for plants lists.

~ freshair

Here is a link that might be useful: Arlington's recommended plant lists

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Check out Texas Super start plant list. Easy to grow.

Instead of Live oak, go with Mexican white oak if you want evergreen oak. It is resistant to oak wilt.

Montezuma cypress is semi-evergreen cousin of bald cypress (Chambersville Tree farm is best place to get it). Fast grower as well. Be careful of where you plant evergreen trees though. You want sun to be shining on the house from east,west and south to keep house warm. It is expensive enough keeping house warm.

If you want a nice fall color from a tree, I highly recommend 'Fire Dragon' (red), 'Skinny Dragon' (bright yellow) or 'Golden Dragon' (bright yellow) shantung maples. Available in this fall at Metro Maples nursery in Ft Worth. only. Shantung maple is on texas superstar list so it is a great tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Superstar plants

• mafatio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These feedbacks are AWESOME.
    I really appreciate it. Thank you.