Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID?

Posted by sunnysa 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 16:06

I received this plant at the Spring swap and planted it in a small flower bed. It's really grown. Should I move it? Can anyone ID it? I've already posted it in name that plant but no luck. It's a very flat leaf. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID?

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 18:17

It reminds me purple Datura.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Datura

o

Thanks, Omar. Okay... that gives me two that have said it's Datura. I'll go with that.

They grow pretty big, don't they? I'll have to move it right away.

o

Was that a Ballerina Purple Datura I gave you?

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 21:43

Daturas are related to brugs. I've seen some like 4-5' tall but most of them reach 2-3'. I've heard they respond well to fertilizers and good drainage.

Omar

o

Joey, did you? I brought home so many plants, I don't remember who gave it to me. If you did, thank you. I remember that you gave two plants, but I don't recall the names.

Omar, I think I've confused the two in the past. That's why I didn't think it was a Datura. I'm happy to learn what it is. Thanks.

o

Just remember that Daturas are highly toxic so if you have a pet that chews on plants, make sure they can't get at it.

o

And take care not to rub your eyes or nose after you handle the leaves. I have lots of the white one and my dog toodles around it and even under it. If I handle it I have to rinse my sinuses in a hot shower as soon as I come in.
Transplant
ASAP and keep some soil on that long root for a smooth transition.

o

the purple datura in the front is 6` tall and the yellow one in back is 5`. I`ve had the purple reach 10` in the past
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here