Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Any experience with these plants from the SABG plant sale?

I am so pleased with the yellow cestrum passed along by Jim that I couldn't resist this one ...

{{gwi:1360653}}

This red ruellia is different from red one passed along by Jim which has reddish underleaves. Anybody grow it? ...

{{gwi:1360654}}

This jatropha's leaves are entirely different than the very tender jatropha I had before. I'm hoping it will grow in the landscape and return. Has anyone tried it like that?

{{gwi:1360655}}

A fragrant blue flowered landscape plant that will take the heat and come back sounds too good to be true ...

{{gwi:1360657}}

This was considered, but being in a larger and much wider pot it was $10 and not blooming so I resisted this time ...

{{gwi:1360659}}
If anyone has experience growing any of these and can offer any growing tips it will be appreciated.

There were several other things at the plant sale I would have loved trying it I just had the room.

Comments (8)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Roselee, I have the first three.
    The red cestrum, I would have lost twice already if I hadn't taken some cuttings. I'm bound and determined to find a place it really likes. For me, in full sun it wilts really bad. Too much shade and it's spindly and flops. I've read that in Florida, it reseeds to the point of being a pest. I haven't seen that.
    The Ruellia elegans is the only ruellia I have anymore. I do still have to pull up the dwarf purple and pink ones occasionally. The one you describe above (Red Christmas Pride) I accidentally killed. The R. elegan I like. The blooms are pretty, it's not real invasive, but does pop up here and there, but nothing like the others. The plant is kind of straggle, but when grown among other plants, you don't notice.
    The Bellyache bush I got at your fall swap last year. It was about 8" tall, and is now about 3' tall, planted in filtered sun under the pecan tree. I really like the foliage. It was protected from freezing last winter, so can't help you on hardiness.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jim, thanks so much. Your information really helps in deciding where to place the plants. I hope I can find the right conbination of sun and shade for the red cestrum. I was going to put it in line with the yellow one, but now I'm thinking it may get too much sun there.

I really like the foliage on this variety of jatropha and hope I can keep it going. It sounds like something the deer won't eat. Anybody know?

If you want to grow Red Christmas Pride again maybe I can root cuttings and return some to you.

There is one more plant that lost its description hence no photo of it, but the volunteer told me it was 'joy weed'. It's a short bushy little thing with beautiful dark red foliage. It's an annual, but easy to root from cuttings she said. Anybody grow it?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Link about 'Joy weed'...

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternanthera dentata 'Purple Knight'

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some photos of the San Antonio Botanical Gardens taken today have been posted to the Gallery ...

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I have Ragin' Cajun (Ruellia elegans) and it has done quite well for years now. I love those red flowers, nice dependable blooms!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Linda! So this is "Ragin' Cajun" -- I've heard that name and that it was a good plant, but didn't know Ruellia elegans was it!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I grew the Purple umbrella plant years ago , but it needs more moisture and richer soil than I am willing to provide at this time. It could work for you just fine.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mara. Will be keeping the richer soil and water thing in mind to give it the best chance of doing well. Funny that there's no clear memory of seeing this plant before. But now that it's greyish foliage is seen it's starting to come back to me and I'm thinking I just wasn't all that impressed ... LOL

I like to plant things as soon as I get them, but in this heat they'll be going to bigger nursery pots until fall.