Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selecting a few good trees...

Posted by wacogardener 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 16:35

I am wanting to plant a couple of new trees in the coming months, and have thus far looked at the Shumardi Red Oak, the Fan-Tex Ash, and the Mexican Plum. I would be curious to hear what experiences any of you might have had with these, and/or any alternatives to these three that you enjoy. I am in the Waco area, zone 8b and am determined to have a beautiful, healthy, and shady yard for many years to come (though I know the shade is some years down the road).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selecting a few good trees...

Shumardi Red Oaks are great - I'd wrap the trunk for the 1st year or two to prevent sunscald which can split the bark.

Ash trees look great but may get borers, especially when young. I've planted several (Texas Ash) but they aren't my primary tree for that reason. I haven't had a problem thus far. Ash trees do grow fast.

Cedar Elm is a good alternative. The gold colors in fall look great with Red Oak and a juniper or two, and they are drought tolerant.

Also, I'd wait until October to plant due to the high temps. Just remember to water regularly (weekly) for the 1st year or two to get them established.

Good Luck!

o
RE: Selecting a few good trees...

We are in the Dallas area and planted 2 Fan-Tex Ashes about 10 years ago in the front yard to shade the house and porch. Yes they do get some borers but I love these trees! They are the first tree to leaf out in spring and the last to drop leaves in the fall. No seeds. Glossy green leaves. Grow fairly fast. We now have shade on the house and porch. Don't have any of the other trees you mentioned so I cannot comment on those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here