Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with planting for end of September for a wedding

Posted by krepanie North Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 17:06

I posted this in another board as well, but am not sure which is the better place.

My husband and I were approached by a family at church to have their daughter's wedding in the field just north of our house. The backdrop would be the drop off and ravine that runs along our property with chairs in the field. The field is a decent size for a wedding ceremony, but everything looks dead and dried out.

We live on the western edge of Tarrant County in North Texas. Our property is very much in its natural state, if you know what I mean. The field looks like dead weeds on dried out ground due to lack of rain. In the Spring it is covered with bluebonnets and various other wildflowers. It is beautiful! However, it is not that attractive the rest of the year.

I am trying to come up with ideas of what we could possibly plant to make it more attractive before the wedding at the end of September. We have no interest in having an actual lawn that is high maintenance with a need for lots of water, just something that tends to grow well on its own in our area.

Any ideas are welcome. And I also know there is probably a chance there is nothing we can do that is low maintenance.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with planting for end of September for a wedding

Your county extension service would have names of wildflowers that could be seeded now to bloom in the fall. Also check to see if cool season grasses like ryegrass can be sown now for a bit of green where the seating is.

If a short mowing is all that you can do by then, the florist will need to bring in some arrangements or plants to define the area.

o
RE: Need help with planting for end of September for a wedding

I'm going to come at this from a different direction. Does the couple (or parents, whichever is planning & paying for the wedding) realize that while the area is gorgeous in the Spring, in the Fall, there's not much beyond "brown" going on? I understand wanting to make everything pretty for your fellow church members, but that's a lot to undertake for what's essentially a favor. Especially if you're paying to decorate the site for someone else's wedding.

I know it's difficult to say "no" to people we care about, but it sounds like it would take a decent chunk of money and time and effort to convert the area for a fall wedding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here