Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Please help ID acacia tree ...

I have been admiring a very beautiful and graceful 20/30 ft. tree growing at the edge of a church parking lot for several years. Then HORRORS: it was cut down! The city removed it when installing a new pole next to where it was growing.

It came back from the roots ... :-) Since it is still in danger of being removed by the grounds keeper (it leans over where he cuts the grass) I've become interested in propagating it, but though it has been blooming for about 6 weeks there are no signs of seed pods. But it had to get there somehow. I pretty sure no one planted it. There are no others in the vicinity.

Very fragrant flowers ...

Bark ...

Whole ...

It has perfectly smooth bark with not even the hint of a thorn. I've tentiveily identified it as Berlandier acacia. What do y'all think?

EDIT:

Today, 9-13-14, at the San Antonio Botanical Garden Plant Sale I spied what I thought was a Berlandier acasia near the parking area in front of the gardens. Mary Irish, author of many books on desert plants (for sale in the SABG Gift Shop and from Amazon) agreed that it was. Here's a photo of the full size tree ...

And the slightly zig zag branches ...

I am very happy to have discovered this beautiful graceful tree. I have seedlings of the church tree several inches tall. They grow fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berlandier acacia ...

This post was edited by roselee on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 21:17

Comments (21)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I concur. My only complaint is that the deer like it too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acasia berlandieri

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara, thank you for the reply. I'm surmising that you have it growing on your property since you know the deer like it. Do you ever see seeds? Do you or anyone else have any hints on propagating legumes other than seeds?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I don't know if you would call it GROWING. It stays about 3" high due to the deer. Or else it is not happy where I put it. It is in a rough area. I should try it in a place with kinder conditions.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara, it sounds like you planted it. If so where did you get it?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I think I picked it up from Barton Springs Nursery in Austin. Do you want me to keep an eye out for it?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, Mara. Please do!

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

The botanical society has alot of Texas natives and I could always take a look if they have it in their inventory. I've seen Golden Leadballs, Arroyo Sweetwoods and various others.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joey yes, please look around and see what you can see ... :-) I'm planning to attend the SABG next plant sale on Sept. 13. San Antonians, mark your calendar.

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 21:45

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

Sorry Roselee but I asked Mary Irish and their seedlings were eaten by varmints so no plants this year. They do have several nice native plants like Golden Leadball, Tenaza, Arroyo Sweetwood and various Bauhinias

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joey. Do you know if they have an Acasia berlandieri growing at the gardens and where?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Watch out, Ragna's on the way to pinch some seeds

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will y'all come see me in jail??? LOL

Years ago I heard on the news about a man who was ARRESTED for taking cuttings of rare plants at the SABG!

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me Roselee. Alot of the plants are grown for a long time to attain a certain size not to mention there are plants here that could be used for unsavory purposes. Unfortunately our Berlandiers Acacia doesn't have any seeds even if I could give you some.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't it a little strange that's it's not producing seed pods? The bees supposedly love it and according to the internet bee keepers love it because the honey has a distinctive flavor and is as clear as water. Are there not enough bees around to pollinate it?

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

I haven't found the tree yet on the property but I'm going off what Mary said considering that's where the edible seedlings came from. As for bees we actually have a rogue hive on the grounds.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The church tree is making seeds! I collect a few pods today that were starting to turn brown and have placed the little beans inside damp paper towels to see if they sprout.

Joey, let me know when you find out where the Berlandiers Acacia is located at the gardens. I'd like to see what it looks like as a mature tree. Today I looked at stump that the church tree is growing from and it's about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. I wish I had paid more attention to it before it was cut down.

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

I was out at the gardens for some personal time and realized what y'all are describing are Guajillos which we have alot of in the native trails. Upon looking at them today I realized Mrs. Irish was not lying...there are seriously no ripe pods on these trees. However, I found this link to show that some people are selling the seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guajillo seeds

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joey, thank you! I'll look for them along the native trails at the San Antonio Botanical Garden.

I'm happy to report that the seeds I collected from the church tree are viable.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Ragna, can you collect some seed and plant one for me. I have a suspicion that this tree is not the same as to one I have. Pretty please.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara yes. I'll be soaking and planting the seeds in the next few days ... :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping up to show photos of Acacia berlandier at San Antonio Botanical Gardens.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA