Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumbers done?

Posted by ccabal 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 17:08

I have a few cucumber plants that look about dead. The have given me lots of pickling cukes, and I am wondering if the plant is just spent or maybe its the heat.? I did kill a bunch of aphids on it with neem oil a week ago, but more leaves have died off and right now the aren't many leaves left, but they are mostly green stem. Should i pull up the plants or it therea chance they might recover later in the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumbers done?

They are done for the season. Depending on where you are, you may be able to start some for a fall crop.

o

yeah that's what I figured. Thanks

o

You are welcome.

I read an article. It stated that once you get a bitter cucumber, they will all continue to be bitter. At that time pull up your vines.

Kathy

o

I grew a variety called Suyo long cucumber. It is charging away in the heat. I just took in 6 18'- 24" long cucumbers. and there is another 6 forming in the cage. I can;t keep up. They make a long thin ribbed cucumber. They are asian, either chines or vietnamese and they seem to deal with the heat really well. I will go out and look for more female flowers tomorrow. I have been fertilizing them with the male flowers. I find them very tasty. The plants are unfazed by the 104 weather so far. I do have it in a spot where it gets some morning sun.

o

Thanks for that info. I love cucumbers. I gave up growing them last year.
I am going to order some seeds.

Kathy

o

... Oh , 104 was a miss type. Sorry. We have had some 102 weather. Baker heirloom Seed has some other varieties from asia that I am interested in also. Some from Thailand. They say they can take heat AND humidity. If given the choice between Northern European derived seed and asian, I am going with asian because their summers are hot and really humid. I was in 100 degree fog when I was going to school in Mainland china. The monsoons are humid things!! It was Houston but worse and no AC at the time.

I fiind the Armenian cucumber a good one also. It is actually a melon. It can take hot and dry heat also. People in Arizona grow them . They are slow to get started but then produce through the heat of the summer. They are a good companion to the normal cucumber.

o

Its been 107 here last week. Killer summer

o

I raised the Armenian cucumbers while working offshore and when I came back the weeds were over a foot high so I began to pull them and ended up killing the plant which by the way was doing just great on its own, very healthy and producing well.

o

Thanks for the info. It looks like my cucumber plant gave up the ghost yesterday here in Dallas. Still have a couple of enormous cukes in the fridge.

o

My cucumber is on its way out... Downy mildew I think. I am too buisy with a job to deal with my garden. It hasn't gotten water but once this week and we have been 101- 104.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here