Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_gw

About Gaillardia, aka Blanket Flower

greybird
12 years ago

I have trouble with my Gaillardia dying over the winter.

What can I do? I have several new varieties, I want to make sure they make it until spring.

Comments (9)

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Greybird, Gaillardia is an annual. Even if you placed it in a greenhouse, it would last a couple of months more, looking weakier and leggier, and eventually will die before the summer. If you have a greenhouse, you will be better off winter sowing them.

Omar

• greybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, that is bad. These were advertised as perennials, with hardiness rating down to zone 3.

Oh well...

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Gaillardia is available as both annual and perennial so I would go with the tag and assume you have the perennial type. I just planted some this year and mine are also tagged as perennials. The last time I grew them was in Southern CA where it does not freeze. Since I don't know how they will do here I'll just make a few general suggestions.

The thing that makes the big difference in my perennials is the mulch. Cover them with several inches in the fall and pull it back so the ground will warm up in the spring and to keep the roots from staying wet. We try not to cut back dead foliage until after last frost to protect new growth against late freezes.

• greybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, thanks for the good news Rock Oak Deer. I will try the overwintering tips.

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

I searched on Wikipedia and the information there supports Rock_oak_deer's statement that gaillardia is an annual and perennial plant. However, they do not specify which specie is what. Maybe it is identified as a perennial because it reseeds easily? Can somebody clarify that? It would be really nice if it was a real perennial. Please keep us posted.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaillardia

• greybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know one I have is a perennial. I had to move it about a month ago, the mother plant and about 9 divisions. The reason for the move is that an annual Gaillardia had seeded and produced a very nice plant almost on top of the perennial one and it was easier to move the perennial. At least I think it is Gaillardia, it has not bloomed yet. Will post a photo when it blooms.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Lowes in S.A. on Callaghan and 10 has a bunch of 'Spreading Perennial' Gallardias on their sale rack for $1.50. Of course they are root bound as all get out from being in the pots so long so probably won't be drought tolerant until next year when their roots have time to spread, but of course I got a few.

This purchase was made in name of research only since I don't need any more plants :-)

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

What a "reasonable" excuse, Roselee!! Congrats!

Omar
    PD Let us not if they are truly perennial, though....

• greybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Roselee, look like you got a good deal!! Research thanks you!!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm