Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with tree problem

Posted by atxgo 78620 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 17:10

Hello,
This past spring, I planted 11 Monterrey Oak trees on my property outside Austin. I have been watering pretty consistently, with a schedule of once every three days. Each time, I leave a light trickle from the hose onto the base of the tree for about 15-20 minutes. Overall, my 11 trees are doing very well, with pretty consistent leaf growth and generally look better than I would have expected with the drought we've been having.

However, one tree has developed a problem that seems like rot at the base of the tree (extending from the ground up about a foot), with significant discoloration. The picture below shows the problem. There is a layer (about 3") of pine mulch around the base of the tree, but I left a little bare ground at the very base. This particular tree was a 15-gallon, about 12' tall tree planted in the first week of March. Other than this "rot" at the base, the tree appears to be healthy, with fresh leaves appearing pretty regularly.

Any advice appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with tree problem

I think it's going to be hard for anyone to be sure from a photo. One real possibility, I think, is Aleurodiscus oakesii, "smooth patch," which is a fungus growing on dead bark and not harmful to the tree. But whatever it is, it has the look of fungus. I would question that watering method. Fifteen minutes of light trickle every three days sounds to me like it keeps the top soil wet but doesn't do much for the tree. Consider a thorough soaking until the water begins to stand before slowing running in, and doing that once a week in this weather with such a new tree. Maybe leave the mulch pulled back for a while and see if the white goes away. Just my first thought.

o

Thanks. I'll look into the fungus. Unfortunately a picture is all I have since I can't take the tree to the nursery.

Regarding the watering, I probably understated how much water I am giving the trees by using the word trickle, because there is normally some standing water when I finish. I would imagine the flow is about a gallon a minute, give or take. As I said, all the trees are doing pretty well except for this one problem, so I'm not sure I have a watering problem.

o

You may want to post your picture on the tree forum and see if they have some ideas too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web Tree Forum ...

o

I have been told 10 gallons once a week ....BUT if it is on very porous limestone soil, 5 gallons Twice a week during the first year when it is hot. I think one out of 11 is damn good gardening on a year like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here