Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New garden bed need some help

Posted by poet2dagger 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 18:26

I am looking for a plant that will do well in texas, something less then 4ft high and 4 ft wide, something with flowers that bloom not only in spring but other seasons as well, Something that doesn't need huge amounts of water for when we have droughts, something that will do well in part shade, and something unique, I don't want just another very common bush, I want something that will make people stop and look and ask "What is that".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New garden bed need some help

If the part shade is in the afternoon then Russian Sage would be a good choice. It's low maintenance and blooms non-stop spring to fall. The first time I saw it, I really did stop and say "what is that."

Russian Sage 7/2010

o

I like Russian sage too. Something else that has a definite 'WOW' factor, but is not as drought tolerant as Russian sage, would be 'dinner plate hardy hibiscus'.

Some of the other hardy hibiscus that are not dinner plate size are pretty amazing too. I've seen a red one which comes back every year that is out by a telephone pole near a church parking lot that I have to say "Wow" about, because it is always blooming and I don't think it gets much, if any, extra care or water. I'm gonna' have to take a picture of it sometime and see if it has some seeds :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Images for dinner plate hardy hibiscus ...

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 21:34

Erythrina herbacea (Coral bean)

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Erythrina h.

o

But Omar, my coral bean gets LOTS bigger than 4 x 4 !

Hot Lips salvia might be an option. Other salvias, too, which have nice blooms. Maybe a bright Knock Out rose ?

patty

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 23:06

Not everybody can afford feeding plants with steroids, Patty. To the best of my knowledge only you, Roselee, Jolana, Jim and RC do that.

Seriously, now. I don't know. What kind of Coral Bean do you have? The genus Erythrina has 130 species but most of them are not cold hardy.I'm pretty sure I have E.herbacea. There are a bunch of Erythrina species that are trees. In fact I saw one the other day at the Nature Center of San Marcos. It was about 12' tall and had an 8" caliper. However, E. herbacea is supposed to grow up to 48" (I checked on Dave's Garden). I've had my plant for 2 years and it has reached 4' by fall, then dies back in winter.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: E. herbacea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here