Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy berries in the San Antonio/Austin area?

Posted by danny112596 10a (danny112596@aol.com) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 18:52

Hello,

I am going to be taking a 3 day vacation to the San Antonio/Austin area starting tomorrow and am looking for berries (black, blue, rasp, etc) to buy. I know it may not be the right season but am wondering if any nurseries or Lowes stores still have some for sale. Last time I went to a Lowes in San Antonio in March, I found many low chill varieties that will grow here in deep south Texas. They had a less chill hour requirement than the ones sold here. So are any nurseries (or Lowes) still selling berries?

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy berries in the San Antonio/Austin area?

The Lowe's store near me seems to have berry plants most of the time. They haven't put them on clearance yet so should still have some. I was there yesterday and didn't look at them specifically, but think I remember seeing them as I walked through.

This was at The Rim on 1604/I-10. The 1604/Blanco store might also still have them.

It's been so hot and dry that I haven't been to any of our great local nurseries lately, but if you get a chance you can try Rainbow Gardens or Milberger's.

o

Okay thank you for posting. I'll be able to check out the Lowes for sure and will try to go to Rainbow Gardens.

o

I meant to recommend Fanick's for berries and fruit.

Milberger's is nice, but Fanick's specializes in fruit and berry plants with low chill levels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanick's

o

I went to Fanick's today and bought Brazos, Kiowa, and Black Satin Blackberries (the only ones they had). There were so many nice plants at the nursery. I'll need to go back whenever I come back to San Antonio. Once again thanks for letting me know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here