Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I just pot a WEED???

Posted by paradisecircus none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 19:15

Hope everyone is enjoying the mild temps and rain!!

Okay so I had some Iceland poppies that weren't doing well in the ground. All died except one, so I dug it up and potted it with some random groundcovers just to see if it would make it. This was about two weeks ago. Since then, its grown six inches and formed little fluffy seed poofs (sorry, not sure of correct terminology here) that look like tiny dandelions. I coulda SWORN I had potted the poppy but maybe they did all die and this thing I potted is an impostor!!

It doesn't look anything like the photos I've seen of Iceland poppies. Did I really just pot a weed???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I just pot a WEED???

Here's another pic. I had to stake it because its become so tall and it leans. Kind of a behemoth!

Sorry my pics are sideways. For some reason pics uploaded from my cell come up sideways.

o

Maybe desert willow?

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 14:37

It's hard to tell because there are many plants with that look. However, I had a volunteer that looked like that some time ago. It turned out to be some kind of wild aster.

Omar

o

I don't think so. I've only seen pictures and not an actual plant, and they usually have a jagged type of leaf like the picture I'm posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot plant

o

I was thinking tarragon, My tarragon was that tall before I trimmed it way back but it is 3 years old. Just in case, are the leaves fragrant? c

o

I've had flowers that looked somewhat like that, and weeds too. The only way to know for sure is let it bloom. Then show us what it is. :)

o

It`s a weed, not a poppy.
I hate those, they make mess and have a deep tap root, a big problem in the flower garden.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks guys! Hahahaha!! Well despite not knowing 100% what it is, the fluffy seed heads worry me a bit so I cut them off. This thing has grown another inch since I originally posted it. I think I may transplant to it's own little cheap pot to see if it ever blooms but its definitely getting the boot from my groundcover display. It towers over everything else and isn't all that attractive IMO.

o

it gets a nondescript flower and then has a seed head like a dandelion, they are all over my vegetable garden right now.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here