Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery vine. yellow flowers. tiny melons

Posted by auntiem79 central (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:45

I have a vine that I originally thought was watermelon growing from my seeds from last year. The flowers look like little yellow watermelon flowers. The little melons began as tiny striped green melons. Now they have changed color to bright orange. I posted a picture. Any ideas what is growing on my fence?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery vine. yellow flowers. tiny melons

Queen Anne's Pocket Melon?

o

I was thinking that might be it. I'm just not sure how a plum granny got there. They are maybe an inch in diameter. I don't think they are getting bigger now that they changed colors.

o

Ibervillea lindheimeri aka Balsam gourd. They're in the cucurbit family so you're not far off. If you think the vine is cool you should see the size of the tuberous roots they have.

o

That's it!!!!! You are super awesome! Thank you so much!

o

It's too pretty. I have to let it grow. Now I'll have my red snailseed and weird bright orange balsam gourds.

o

ive a cucumber looking vine that popped up a few weeks ago.

looks like the same fruit as yours. but the leaves and flowers arent the same.

any ideas on this one?

o

houston, I believe yours is a muskmelon.
Cucumis melo var. dudaim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here