Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted Trees/Shrubs

Posted by bjb817 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 19:47

Last year, I basically re-landscaped my whole yard. Most of my plants have taken well. Unfortunately, I have a few exceptions.

I have 3 bush germanders, a mexican sycamore and cherry laurel that have a huge flush of small, stunted looking new growth. They've been this way all season. It's like they're dying to break out and grow, but just can't get over the hump.

It's weird, because I have another sycamore doing great and a total of 9 bush germanders, 3 of which are stunted looking. They're all in different areas of the yard. I'm on the east side of Austin, black land clay soil. Here's a pic of the germander:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted Trees/Shrubs

A pic of the sycamore:

o

I'm not sure why some of your plants would exhibit that stunted growth. Must be something about the roots, the soil or amount of irrigation. Bumping this up so perhaps someone will see it who has also experienced it and can give you some ideas as to the cause. I'm curious too. It will be interesting to see if things level out next year.

o

Bump

o

OK, I'll bite. Several shrubs that I've planted seemed stunted like that for the first few years. It's like the roots have trouble punching into the clay. But when they figure it out, they take off like you would expect. I could be way off, but that's what I've always thought was going on.

o

Well, I certainly appreciate a few of you taking a crack at this. It has me good and baffled too since only some of the plants are experiencing this. I thought maybe the big rain last week would get them going, but no luck. :^( I guess all that can be done is play wait and see...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here