Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do about this?

Posted by texasmom83 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 19:50

A patio will be going in here soon. What is this guy and is there anyway to save him? That rickety swing structure has to go.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do about this?

I see what looks like one coral flower on the left of the arbor that makes me think it might be a trumpet vine. A close up of the flower and leaves would help someone to make a positive ID. Your yard had a lot of potential. I'm glad you're interested in IDing the plants and working on the landscape ... :-)

o

Have you dug into the soil yet? That may answer why things were left in containers. I had a great fellow at the local nursery who identified every piece of shrub I took in. Then I was able to decide if it stayed or went. To id here a clear close-up is really needed.

o

Agree it looks like some form of trumpet vine; containers were probably intended to keep them in place. Native campsis radicans is VERY aggressive and would likely have been out the bottom of the pot and showing up elsewhere in the yard, so a good chance you probably have one of the more docile 'madame' hybrids... if it is a trumpet vine. Close up of leaves and flowers would help.

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 16:23

Ah, weird me. I like the structure. More water will help the vine to thick out and a nice bench under it would look great IMO.

Omar

o

I like the structure too; unless it is rotted and weak and in danger of falling over. Then I'd be inclined to repair it and put paving stones under and around it, more and bigger flower pots around the posts; plus as Omar says -- place a bench beneath it.

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 22:45

o

I'm sorry I didn't get back quick. I will post a close up tomorrow. My main concern with keeping this is that it's really quite rickety up close. I can try for now but 1 big tropical storm and that thing is going to be in pieces. I have no clue why she grew things out of containers. I'm going to have the soil tested but we have roses and other established plants growing. I don't think she really had a green thumb... But neither do I. Just trying to learn. :)

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 22:59

I think that it has aesthetic potential but if it is not sturdy, I agree on getting rid of it. Maybe you can provide another structure for the plant?. It take years to get a perennial vine to that size. You could get rid of whatever sticks out of the pot and create a base of rocks around the plant and fill out the inner area with garden soil. Just an idea...

Omar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here