Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses?

Posted by texasmom83 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 19:57

I think this is some sort of rose. My plan here is to make this area a bed but trying to keep this guy and work around him. How can I help him look better? I don't quite understand pruning but I bought some sheers. He's a lanky fella.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses?

Its a rose. Get rid of the grass in a 2ft circle around the plant and mulch it.

o

You can cut that one long branch waving around to even it up with the others, but wait and see what kind of rose it is before hard pruning. After clearing the grass and applying mulch give it about half a cup of lawn or rose fertilizer and water it in. Roses like plenty of water, sun, and fertilizer to bloom well.

Good luck with all you're doing in the yard!

o

I'm kind of suspicious of the long cane with few thorns. It may be a sucker. You would need to take away some soil from around the base to see where the canes originate. Hope this drawing helps.

o

What is a sucker? Thank u this is so helpful. It comes up out of the ground away from the main part. Is that bad?

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 23:09

That's a sucker: a growth from the roots or an area outside off the graft (if it is a grafted plant). I suggest that you pamper your plant (clean the grass around, apply fertilizer, removed any dead material, etc.) and whenever it blooms, then make the decision if you want to keep it or not.

Omar

o

It also could be a climbing rose. If you post the pic on the rose forum you might can get it identified and then you would know how to prune it in the spring. It looks healthy. Also if it's a once bloomer you wouldn't want to prune it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here