Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I don't even know where to start...

Posted by texasmom83 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 20:05

So it appears that everything here is growing out of several plastic planters of sand! Yay! What could I do here with this creative addition to my new yard? Looks like at one time it was a flower bed. I can see a tiny bit of black border sticking up through the grass. I hate killing plants. I'd rather just keep the pretty thing with the orange flowers and I don't know, peel away the planters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I don't even know where to start...

Maybe just clear the grass away from the fence for now. Also widen the flower bed and add a new border while you're doing it.

You might want to wait until the dormant season to peel away the pots that have plants in them rooted through the drain holes because disturbing the roots very much while it's hot may kill the plant. Depends on how strong a grower it is.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors!

o

rotated photo

o

I would make the same suggestion as Roselee and, after the grass is cleared, I would add some compost, manure and fresh mulch to improve the existing soil.
Molly

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 16:16

Yes, go with the flow for now. Clean, prune, feed and observe, then make decisions during the winter. What's the vine, a cross vine?

Omar

o

The pretty plant with orange flowers is trumpet vine and you'll probably regret keeping it.

o

Yep like Marti8a said you will regret it. Trumpet vine grows and can get invasive.

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 23:10

Give the thugs a chance!! :D

Omar

This post was edited by ocgf on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 23:12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here