Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

How does Society Garlic hold up in all day sun?

msrose
9 years ago

I have two Stella D' Oro daylilies in my front yard that look great at the beginning of the year, but then don't bloom much after that and I'm constantly removing brown leaves. Does anyone have Society Garlic in all day sun? I'm wondering if it would be a good replacement for the daylilies. Out of the gray and green, does one do better than the other?

Comments (16)

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

There are several planted in full sun in the medians around my neighborhood. Not sure what kind. They look good, but smell like a mixture of skunk and swamp water. I pulled out the ones the landscaper had planted in my yard.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

I think they grow better in full sun, as long they receive regular water....

Omar

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had one years ago, but couldn't remember why I got rid of it. Now that you mention the smell, I wonder if that's why. This would be in the front yard away from the house, so I guess it would be okay :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

A few weeks ago I noticed a semi circular bed of society garlic in full sun at an apt complex. It was just gorgeous! I'm sure they were in good soil and had irrigation. I meant to go back and take a picture, but didn't. I'll try to swing by there again and see how they are doing.

I never smell my society garlic unless I step on them. But that's no problem -- I like garlic ... :-)

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I like the smell of regular garlic. Society garlic doesn't smell like that. It's an off smell to me.

• southofsa
    9 years ago

I had it planted in two places- one in the full sun vegetable garden and one in a bed with full sun and good soil, but doesn't get watered routinely. The veggie garden one does great, but the other just kind of limps along and doesn't do much. I think they can take the sun but probably does better with a little extra irrigation. Mine don't have a strong smell either. Maybe some are more sensitive to it.

HTH- Lisa

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roselee - I'd love to see a picture! Was it the green one or the gray one? I just went to Plant Shed to look at them. I really want the gray one, but the green was so much fuller and prettier. I wonder if that's a sign the green one does better.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Msrose, your wish is my command! I took some this morning.

They are the green ones and were absolutely FABULOUS earlier in the year. I wish I'd taken a picture, but they're still blooming and holding up pretty well in the blasting sun with the heat reflected off the wall behind them. I never knew they'd get this large and full. They could use a little dead heading, but here you go. More pictures will follow.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

A little closer view:

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

These behind the wall look a little fresher.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Roselee! I definitely want to try them now, but just can't decide.....green or gray. I'm still a little worried about the smell. They would be planted next to my driveway. I'd hate for anyone visiting to smell skunk as soon as they get out of the car. I guess I can replace it with something else (again) if it's too bad.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

msrose, if the smell is an issue, why don't you plant some lavenders instead? It smells wonderful, it's drought tolerant, stays kinda green during winter, has a round shape like SG and has purplish blooms. Just an idea...

Omar

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

mine is in full, brutal, TX sun and does well. It does get some water from sprinkler but not a direct hit and only once a week. It may be stinky (if you consider garlic stinky) but the plant is only about 1 ft tall, so unless I'm weeding the area and my nose is close to the blooms, it is never offensive. Deer resistant. Foliage and flowers are edible.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I don't have full sun, but have tried the variegated one a couple of times and it doesn't make it in my yard.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ocgf - I didn't know we could grow lavender here. Is there any particular I should try?

bossy - That's what I was hoping to hear!

ruthz - You just convinced me to try the green :)

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

mrose, I don't know where in TX you live, but I live in Kyle, a town near to Austin, and I've had lavender for about 7 years with good results. I don't know the species or cultivars, but I do know I have 3 different types and all of them have grown in my yard for years. They like poor soils with irregular watering.

Omar

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville