Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how can I get rid of a small beehive?

Posted by ibheri 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 20:12

I noticed a small beehive in the honeysuckle I have in my backyard. Its still very small and I want to remove it before it gets too big. I see a bee guarding its fort very protectively. I can see only one sitting guard all the time. Can I use some spray ?
Indu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how can I get rid of a small beehive?

Are you sure it is bees, or is it the start of a paper wasp nest? If a wasp nest just hit it with a hard blast of water to knock it down. The wasps can't fly and sting when their wings are wet.

o

Contact your county extension agent and get the name and number of someone that will remove the bees. You don't want to kill them since we are losing so many bees!

o

Uhmm, now that you ask Roselee I am thinking if its something else. It looked like a beehive to me. I tried to scare it away. It flew out and I noticed that it has a reddish color to it. Well, I think I was more scared because I was the one who ran for cover :) I will try and take a picture today. The lawn moving guy helps me with trimming the plants. He said something stung him when he tried to cut a few branches off the honeysuckle.

@ ltcollins, thnx I will contact the extension agent. Since its just very small I thought I could try something myself.

o

Do try to take a picture of the nest so it can be determined what kind of insect it is and go from there.

o

Sounds like red wasps. Some made a nest in the outside mirror of my pickup. It really hurt when they stung me. One stung me twice behind my right ear and that lymph node really hurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: red wasp

o

Indu, it sounds like Red Wasp to me too. There is a spray called "Wasp and Hornet" spray. It comes in a tall spray can and is designed to spray a foam from 15 or 20 feet away. Stand back, spray the nest and wasps that are on it, then leave the nest in place. Any that were gone will be killed when they return and land on the nest. Good luck!
Jim

o

Thnx Jim, I will try that.

I was able to get out and take a picture. Not sure if its clear enough, but I didn't want to get too close :(

Photobucket

o

OH YES! It is a wasp nest.

o

I know this post is several days old but I wanted to add that my best results with killing wasp nests is to wait until dark-thirty or so, and spray when they are all 'at home'. It does have a residual effect, like Jim said, but this just ensures better success for me.

o

Thank you all, it was a very busy week both at work and home, plus the rain I didn't get to take it down yet. Thnx for all the advise, will follow your suggestions.
Indu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here