Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The (nekkid) Turtle Dance Thread

Posted by melvalena North Texas 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 20:26

Since no one else has the courage to start this I will.

I did a little research. Nothing much out there on how to do The Nekkid Turtle Dance.

But here's what I did find on Wiki:

Feathers and turquoise (or any sort of blue shade) are worn during the ceremony to symbolize wind and rain respectively.

To perform the ceremony, one uses a stick to draw a turtle facing West in the sand or dirt of an area in need of rain. The stick is then driven into the ground so that it remains protruding from the turtle's back. The time required for the action to take effect varies from one account to another, ranging from occurring instantaneously to taking several days.

from other sources:

A variation on the ceremony requires that those participating must spit onto the turtle's back, and is thus called a spit.

How To A Rain Dance

1. Never do a rain dance on a hill.
2. Make sure you have a lot of room so you
don't run into anything.
3. Spin around in clockwise circles.
4. Make up your own rain chant. It should be rhythmical
and easy to say fast.
5. Yell your rain chant while spinning around in circles.
6. If you are trying to get rid of rain, spin in
counterclockwise circles and say your chant backwards.
http://www.mcpasd.k12.wi.us/kms/weiss/Semester2/pageskr04/index.html

The nekkid part we just have to add ourselves.
I'd volunteer my place, but I don't think my lot has enough level ground for it. (and we'd have to nix the nekkid part)

Lets discuss a date and time. I think if we do it all over the state at the same time we'd get pretty good coverage.

Photos can be posted over in the gallery.

Is anyone good at making up chants?

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Make A Rain Turtle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The (nekkid) Turtle Dance Thread

LOL!

o

Sign me up!!

o

I have to do this in by back yard with the eight foot fence all around. When do we start?????

o

I work every weekend double shifts(Fri-Sun), so I can't participate on those days. Any other time is good for me.

o

We might do it on a moonless night.

The turtle must be drawn and the stick in place just before the sun sets.

No flashlights, just wrap in a white towel to drop when the whirling begins, A white one should be easy to find when it is over.

And just imagine how cool that newly falling rain will feel.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 14:56

Spin in circles!! Yeah Right.. I'm not sure insurance covers that!! Nekkid would be the easy part! It's HOT!!! LMAO!!!

Kylie

o

I only did it in my imagination and it is raining buckets.
Temp is down from over 100 to 70s.

o

Soxxx, send us your secret..............

o

I guess you are right! I found this online... The 4th one is interesting.

How to perform a traditional rain dance.

Things You'll Need: Turquoise-colored clothing and jewelry,
Feathers.

1. Wear turquoise and feathers, if you have any. Many Native American tribes associate turquoise with rain and feathers with the wind. Put on any turquoise-colored clothing that you may have and turquoise jewelry. If you have access to any bird or decorative feathers, place a couple in your hair or secure them to a hat and wear them during the rain dance.

2. Find an outdoor space where you have plenty of room to move around. Choose a space that has sparse or no tree cover so that you have a clear view of the sky. The terrain of the space you choose should be relatively flat, which will make it easier to perform the rain dance.

3. Spin around in circles. Begin spinning clockwise at a slow and steady pace. Chant your own simple rain chant as you spin. Your chant can be something as simple as the word "rain" repeated over and over or an entire phrase, such as "Come down rain." Raise your hands to the sky occasionally to urge the rain to fall.

4. Speed up your spinning and chanting. The longer you spin and chant the faster you should spin and chant. Close your eyes as you dance and breathe in deeply between chants. When you want to end the dance, drop to your knees in silence. Stay on your knees until any dizziness you feel goes away and you can regain your balance.

Speed up your spinning and chanting...That sounds easy enough.

Close your eyes as you dance and breathe in deeply between chants...Again, no problem.

When you want to end the dance, drop to your knees in silence...I think the spinning will end the dance sooner than I want, and dropping to my knees would be more of an involuntary movement. Silence may also be difficult since it's hard for me to heave without making at least some noise.

Stay on your knees until any dizziness you feel goes away and you can regain your balance...I don't think I'd have a choice with the nausea that would follow all that spinning...regaining my balance may take a while. Just don't let me pass out while on my back with my mouth open, just in case the rain dance works.

Kt

o

hehehe, such an entertaining thread! I'm thinking about doing this tonight just after dark with the turquoise clothing on! Where am I gonna find a feather?

o

Do you have a feather duster?

o

Or a friendly bird????

o

No feather duster, just one of those static puff things :-) I'll stop by the duck pond for a feather. y'all listen for the rain ...LOL!

o

Something definitely worked! It's raining here in north San Antonio now and the radar shows more behind it.

o

Did you do the dance?

o

Oh no, I just watered the prickly pear a few days ago.

o

Now what do WE do, mel?..............I don't have a prickly pear to water.

o

I was wondering the same thing Carrie, don't have a prickly pear either. Guess we'll have to dance nekkid.

o

I love this post.

I took some chalk and drew a huge green turtle facing west on my concrete driveway. I wrote "Nekkid turtle rain dance held here, Y'all come." I could, but have not danced around it.

It sure is making people ask questions.

o

That is funny, soxx..............wish I were nearer, I would come dance with you.

o

We NEED a nekkid turtle dance here! NOW! I went to town yesterday, and not five miles out of town, there had been a real good rain; not a drop for us. I always wonder what in particular I have done.....

My DH and I have participated in dances of one nature or another over the years. He is a willing participant, and I know he could draw the best turtle, facing west, of course. We do have a frying pan turtle that he made from a frying pan a few years ago. I wonder if we faced it WEST, and whirled around it.....would that work?

Also, I would need someone to catch me when I stop whirling. I think it is a blood pressure thing.....

I can provide proof of our participating in other ceremonies, if needed.

o

little dani

Were the other ceremonies successful?

Tell us more .

o

We need to find out what Roselee did! Anyone have a funny red hat?

o

It rained just enough to wash my turtle away that I had drawn on my driveway with chalk. He was so cute and he generated lots of fun.

I am going to draw one with real paint and call him yard art.

o

Janie, I do not remember the occasion but do remember your DH dancing (garden junk web)
with out his shirt and he had a hat on...what was the occasion....momof6 (Mary)

o

I had a stump ground up yesterday. The machine ground down about 2 1/2 feet into dry dirt. Not a sign of moisture and the temperature is 111 o.

Everyone in Texas draw a turtle and get to dancing!

o
Turtle Dance Thread - get to dancing

I had a stump ground up yesterday. The machine ground down about 2 1/2 feet into dry dirt. Not a sign of moisture and the temperature is 111 o.

Everyone in Texas draw a turtle and get to dancing!

o
Sorry for duplicate post

Sorry for the double post. The forum said it was refusing the 1st one.

o

Maybe it needed to be said twice, soxx............

o

Here we go again...they say they're going to make it rain!
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_stories/Folks-Attempt-to-Break-Rain-Dance-Record20110823-ktbcw#axzz1VunUXAJr

o

They have my support..............I hope it works.

o

I plan to wash my car over the weekend. Perhaps that will help?

o

Yeah! My favorite post is active again.

I am painting the permanent turtle facing west on my sidewalk instead of my driveway because there is a hole there to punch in the necessary stick. Those rose bushes must go.

"if there is too much rain participants must dance
counterclockwise"

For me it is easier to twirl clockwice than counterclockwise (maybe not for lefties)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here