Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting English Ivy To Climb Brick

Posted by columbiasooner DFW (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 21:11

I am having trouble getting our Ivy to climb our brick on the outside of the house. I would rather not use a wood trellis. The Ivy is growing like crazy but is having trouble grabbing the brick. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting English Ivy To Climb Brick

You don't want ivy to grow on bricks, it's bad for the mortar.

At least thats what I've been told and just thought I'd let you know.
Maybe someone else knows more then me and can tell you more.

o

According to DH, my resident English ivy expert, it really depends on the type of brick you have. The brick needs to have crevices that the roots can grab onto.

We had English ivy on our house in Virginia and it does grab on the bricks first and then the mortar. It didn't really damage the brick or mortar just by growing there. The damage really occurs when it dies or you have to remove it for another reason. It's almost impossible to remove all the ivy so if you or someone else wants to remove it in the future there will always be little bits of dead ivy outlined in the brick.

Bobbi p used a no drill trellis you can see in her post here if you scroll down.

Here is a link that might be useful: No drill trellis

o

I heard it was bad for the mortar too but I grew up in a 300 year old brick house covered in ivy so I guess it isn't too bad.

I agree, it is impossible to remove completely once you want it gone. Even with a heavy duty power washer. Also, it sends vines up through any small gaps in the wood window frames and roof soffits which doesn't seem like a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here