o
vitex agnis castus

Posted by davids10 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:31

pollinator magnet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vitex agnis castus

Your vitex has especially long inflorescences! They are much longer than what I'm seeing on mine. What kind of polinators are attracted to your vitex?

I planted a very small white vitex and a three gallon purple vitex last fall. They are growing very fast and the purple one has been blooming since spring, but I haven't noticed much of anything being attracted to it. But there just aren't that many bees and butterflies around my yard and I'm not sure why not, although I've been blaming it on the drought.

o

Nice! I agree about the inflorescences. Does it have something to do with the variety?

o

If so, I would not mind some seed. It does look like it might be been shade grown.

o

Gorgeous! No wonder many refer to them as Texas Lilacs!

My beautiful purple vitex is now coming to the end of its bloom time. It attracts all kinds of pollinators (bees and butterflies) but is especially enjoyed by the hummingbirds.
The seeds are also a favorite of some birds like cardinals.
So it's a food source as well. And of course there is a fascinating history of its medicinal properties for humans as well. Can't have enough Vitex trees!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vitex Tree's History and Medicinal Uses

This post was edited by mrs.wiggley on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 12:47

o

Some people think there is too many of them. It is on the state invasive list because it is out competing native flora in Central Texas.

I don't know if this is warranted. I am confused about the intent to hold natural flora to a static sense of norm. I have not seen them every where where I am. I have never seen a forest of these guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Invasive List

o

interesting that it is invasive in more favored climates. i grew the plant from a cutting because of the extra long inflorescences-love that word-or are they trusses? it has never seeded here so have no idea if it comes true.

o

It is not in EAST texas where it is wetter, but in wetter than Reno Central Texas, it is naturalizing. I am not sure if Naturalizing means invasiveness, but to these guys it seems to. There is some people who see these communities as more diverse and richer. I am thinking about this. The Holistic Land management people have a whole other take on this. They look at flora as a functional environments that do not have to be static.

Is there a name for this variation of Vitex. I will google it and see if I can find another.

o

I'm confused about the invasiveness issue and would like to know more about it. My Vitex goes to seed but have never seen any baby Vitex trees sprout up anywhere...yet. I've had mine for many years now. I manage for wildlife and this tree was among those recommended to me.

o

It is a confusing issue and a very controversial one. Knowledgable people weighing in on both sides. We should probably give it its own thread and not take over David's vitex thread.. I have an interesting thought provoking site that I need to look up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here