Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow shrimp: Is this sun damage or what?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 21:35

We recently had to take down a large tree and many of the plants are getting a lot more sun than usual, but I'm not sure if this damage to the yellow shrimp plant flowers is from being in full sun or something else.

Has anyone else seen this on their shrimp plants?. The fruit cocktail shrimp variety is showing it also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow shrimp: Is this sun damage or what?

I think so. When I took down the mesquite in front I remember getting some of that on one of my shrimp plants. But I get it some when I forget to water too long and they get a bit fried. Maybe they need more water with the tree down until they get adjusted? Just a thought.

Lisa

o

Thanks Lisa! I'm hoping it's just too much sun frying them and not something worse like chilli thrips. I tapped the blooms over white paper and examined with a 10 power loupe and didn't see any of those very tiny thrips that can't be seen with anything less than 10 power.

o

Roselee, my lighter colored shrimp plants do that too. I think it is just a combination of high humidity followed by intense sunshine. It is usually the older blooms that are affected. When more of the blooms look bad than look good, I just shear it off a couple of inches and let it rebloom.

Jim

o

Jim, thank you! I'm breathing a sigh of relief that's the damage is from the blasting afternoon sun, which I can deal with by eventually moving it or in the short term by using another umbrella, and not chilli thrips. This yellow variety, that you passed along, is my favorite. It's always covered in blooms. I think the variety may be 'Lemon Sorbet'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here