Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The scoop on water restrictions

Posted by greybird z7 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 21:39

Well, we are in stage 2 water restrictions, likely to go stage 3 next week.

This is the first time Vernon has EVER had water restrictions.

How does it work, and can you keep a landscape alive during restrictions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The scoop on water restrictions

The answer really depends on the type of landscape and how much time you have to water by hand.

I don't know if your stage 3 is the same as ours, but the restrictions mainly apply to sprinklers so you can water with a hand held hose at any time. That's how we manage to keep things looking pretty good around here.

Much of our landscape is low water use native and adapted plants so the only required watering is the garden and container plants on the deck. The garden is every other day and the containers are every day when it's hot.

Our buffalo grass lawn doesn't need water. I do see some of the neighbors out watering their lawn by hand. Most of the lawns I see do look pretty brown and we're only in stage 2.

If you have trees or shrubs be sure to deep water about once a month. By the time you see them showing stress, it will be nearly impossible to bring them back.

You can keep it all going, it's just a lot of extra work.

o
RE: The scoop on water restrictions

It takes a bit of thought and work, but yes it can be done. As RODeer said, you can hand water anytime. So keeping the plants alive is very doable. As far as the lawn -- when Rowlett went to Stage 3 a few years ago, you could only water once a week between 8pm and 8am. I got up at 5am and turned on the sprinkler. Got up at 6am and moved the sprinkler. Turned the water off at 7am. When I got home that night, I would run the sprinkler in two locations from 8pm until 10pm. This was a pain in the patoot, but it kept my lawn alive until the heat broke and the rains came. My St Aug was already used to getting watered only once a week, so it took the weather and the restricted watering quite well. Once you get used to watering under these restrictions, it all gets easier.

Carla in Rowlett, TX

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here