Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_2016

Best place to buy fruit trees online for Texas

chelsea_2016
10 years ago

I know it might be early to be buying trees (or extremely late) but I want to do all my research now and it'd help if I could start with a reputable nursery.

What supplier have you found to have the best quality at the best prices (and shipping)? Can be a local nursery, but I don't mind buying online as I can then buy all the kinds of trees I want in one fell swoop :) I'm in the DFW area.

I'm looking at buying 2 asian pear, 2 types of apple, 1 fig, 1 oro blanco grapefruit, some type of orange, lemon, and lime (still researching best type), 1 bonanza peach, 1Royal Lee minature cherry, 1 Minnie Royal minature cherry, and fuyu persimmon. Hoping to find all dwarfing rootstock as these trees will be in containers for quite a few years and I don't have space for this many full sized fruit trees, lol

Comments (9)

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Your local extension agent should be a great help with your question.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

When I lived in the Dallas area over 10 years ago, I was very happy with the prices and quality of trees that I purchased from Bob Wells Nursery in Lindale, Texas (http://bobwellsnursery.com/index.php/home/) and Womack Nursery in De Leon, Texas (http://www.womacknursery.com/index.html).

• weldontx
    10 years ago

Womack Nursery in De Leon, TX 254*893-6497
    womacknursery.com Family owned for 75 yrs. grows quality
    stuff and knows what will actually work -- where. Ask for a catalog while you are at it.

• chelsea_2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'll look into Womack for sure. Can't wait until they have their prices updated! Also found Bay Laurel Nursery online and really liked their website. lots of info about each tree including rootstock type and explanation. Checked out Bob Wells and found their website lacking decent product descriptions

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

Ask bay laurel not to root trim. I've bought a lot of plants from, and have been happy except for the last pear, root was trimmed to almost nothing.

Doans is probably low on inventory right now, but will receive their Dave Wilson trees next feb or so. Bay laurel, doans, raintree all resell Dave Wilson trees. Doans also has le Cooke trees, which are sometimes better. Womack is normally home grown trees, which I really like--but I suspect they resell a few Dave Wilson trees also

If you're going to buy out of state, look at raintree, one green world, isons, just fruits and exotics--but be sure to pick the right rootstock for dallas. Anything from doans is ok here. Most everything from womacks is ok, but being mail order they sell throughout the country, so be sure to ask them if it'll grow in dallas.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

While Bob Wells' website doesn't have good product info, their stock is beautiful and their prices are good. Last year I got a HUGE chocolate persimmon (pollinator for my coffeecake persimmon) for ~$35. I also bought 2 bare root pluot trees (I think they were ~$25), a fig tree (~$10), and some berry vines ($6-$8). They also had a greenhouse full of citrus trees (with some loquats that were to die for!). I just did my research and headed there with what I wanted, then wandered around for an hour or so, lost in all of their stock!

Remember that if you're buying citrus, you can't order it from out of state - they won't ship citrus into Texas.

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

I got my citrus trees from Rio Grande Valley Nursery in Mission, Texas, ordered on line. Their website is saying it is temporarily down for maintenance. I'll see if I can get their number.

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

RGVnursery.com
    (956) 581-4880
    Email: rgvnursery@yahoo.com
    Trees were shipped in small pots and in sturdy well protective boxes. I bought Meyer and Lisbon lemons and Mexican lime. Lemons are doing well but lime died. I think it was my fault and not theirs. I did not know how to take care of citrus and made many mistakes early on.

I got my Bonanza dwarf peach from Caldwell's Nursery and Botanical Gardens in Rosenberg, Texas, but they don't ship and that's probably too far for you to drive. But they did have many many varieties of stone fruit, including dwarf varieties. I purchased in February. Google them for their number and website if you decide to take a road trip. I am seriously considering looking for a dwarf nectarine this coming winter and will go back to them first.