Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best soil for fruit trees/veggies in Smart Pots/fabric pots

Posted by Chelsea_2016 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 22:43

Hi all,
I posted earlier asking about how people liked their smart pots in Texas and got positive responses. Now I'm trying to figure out the best growing medium for the approx 10 fruit trees I'll be getting this winter and for the typical fall vegetables.
I've seen about Al's Gritty mix 1-1-1 but that it drys out just too quickly in the Texas heat (even read the same about the 5-1-1 version). Any recommendations for other growing mediums, a modified gritty mix, etc?
Or if you've had great success with the 5-1-1 version in crazy heat, please chime in!
I'm in the DFW area so it's usually a drier heat than, say, Houston although this year has been quite humid so far!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best soil for fruit trees/veggies in Smart Pots/fabric pots

5-1-1 mix works pretty well. Yes, it dries out fast but why not just water it every day? I prefer roottrapper over smart pots though. Doesn't dry out as fast and white covering keeps root system cooler.

Here is a link that might be useful: roottrapper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here