9 years ago

Does anyone know the name?

Comments (13)

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

Bougainvillea.

• texaskittysa
    9 years ago

Hi sunnysa-your plant looks like what they call a "torch" or "torch glow" bougainvillea. The growth habit is a little different than a regular bougie, being more upright and compact. Your plant appears to have the double flowers rather than single, and the tight grouping of the leaves on the stem. Try googling images of torch bougainvillea and see if it matches your plant. I have a young one of these next to an orange Esperanza and love the combination. Good luck with yours!

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, Texas Kitty... that's it, exactly! I thought we would never learn the name! The neighbor down the street has one and we have been admiring it for years. We searched all over the bougie sites and in local nurseries and no one had it. I told my husband that it had to be a local nursery if we could not find it online so we hit every nursery from Gruene to Corpus and no luck whatsoever!

Finally, just yesterday, I told my husband, let's just go and ask the lady what the name is and where she got it. She and her husband were so nice and gave us a cutting but she did not know the name of it.

I'm just so very thrilled that you knew the name. It does grow differently than other bougies and the bracks are spectacular!

"Plant Description:
    Unusual, showy, shrubby grower boasts beautiful reddish-pink blooms atop upright branches."

Now with the correct name, we can present a name and a picture to the garden centers that we visit. Thanks so much for the ID!

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

Whoops you already knew it was a bougie but needed the name. I feel like a dummy. Good ID though.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Believe me, you're not the dummy on here, lol. I just should have explained more. It was so late, I was typing with one eye open. :-)

Thanks, Joey.

BTW, we've already been to Fanick's and found one there. Thanks, everyone.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I'm glad you found one. It does resemble a torch!

Here is a link that might be useful: Torch bougainvellea images ...

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 18:10

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Carlton Pearson singing Torch Bougainvillea? :p

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Well Omar, it was a 'torch song' of a different caliber ... hahaha!

• texaskittysa
    9 years ago

Glad to be of help, sunnysa! I purchased mine from Cameo Farm at the San Antonio Festival of Flowers. They are a nursery in Kingsbury that seems to specialize in bougies. If you google "Cameo Farm in Texas", you'll find their contact information. They only had one Torch bougie left when I was there at the Festival and I grabbed it since, as you mentioned, it is hard to find. I hope they can help you!

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas Kitty, I just knew that it had to be a local supplier. We even went to Gruene because I saw a Torch bougie growing outside one of the shops there, but when we went, we could not find it again. Their website says that they only sell at 'events.' We'll try to catch up with them at the Gruene Market Days.

Thanks to everyone for the links and information.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Dang! It took you 11 minutes to change it! :D

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Omar, I was giving everybody a chance to listen ... ;-) Just kidding!

I tell you what -- I laughed and laughed when I saw what I had done!

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Au contraire, Roselee. I was impressed by your speed. It took you 11 minutes to change it.

Everybody else in Austin or close, I saw some very nice small bougainvilleas in bloom at only $4 at Barton Springs Nursery. They are the typical red.

Omar