Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosy pickles- to use those bitter cucumbers

Posted by little_dani 9, S. Tex Coast (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 23:08

This is that pickle recipe to use up those overgrown, bitter cucumbers.

Rosy Pickles

2 gal. cucumbers, peeled and cut in long strips with seeds removed. (The overgrown cucumbers work best. Watermelon rind works also.)
2 c. lime
4 c.vinegar, 5% acidity
1 tbsp.alum
1 oz. red food color
3 (3-oz. pkgs) red hot cinnamon candies
5lbs. sugar
12 cinnamon sticks

Step #1: 1st day: Soak cucumbers 24 hours in lime and 2 gallons water.

Step #2; 2nd day: Drain and wash several times. Soak 3 hours in tap water. Drain again. Simmer 3 hours in a brine of 1c. vinegar, alum, red food coloring, and enough water to cover. Drain and throw away the brine. Dissolve red hot cinnamon candies in 3c. cold water. Bring to boil a brine of sugar, 3 c. vinegar, cinnamon, and the dissolved red hot candies. Pour this brine over the cucumbers, and let stand for 24 hours.

Step #3; 3rd day: Drain and reserve liquid. Reheat and pour over the cucumbers again.

Step 4; 4th day: Repeat as for 3rd day.

Step 5; 5th day: Heat cucumbers in brine. Pack into hot jars, and seal while hot.

These pickles are so good that my friend always gave my DH and I our own jars, as DH complained that I would not share mine with him. LOL

Janie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosy pickles- to use those bitter cucumbers

Those sound great! I didn't grow cukes this year, but now I'm heading to the store to buy a watermelon! Thanks for the recipe.

Kathi

o

My Gram used to make those! They are sooo sweet!

o

• Posted by moogies z8, D/FW Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 11:00

Ummm - where do I get powdered lime and alum?

Kathi

o

We buy them at HEB, or WalMart, if you have a super WM. Alum is in the spice department, and canning lime is with canning supplies.

My Granny used to do this with watermelon, and she used Black Diamonds, because they have a nice thick rind. They were delicious!

Janie

o

• Posted by moogies z8, D/FW Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 19:49

Well, I went to the Harvest Forum and they were very helpful.
If you can't find lime and alum, you can use Pickle Crisp or Calcium Chloride instead. In fact - they said it's healthier and less trouble.

Here's the modified recipe, using PC or CC (also, I'll use Splenda):

ROSY PICKLES -- This is a pickle recipe to use up those overgrown, bitter cucumbers.

2 gal. cucumbers, peeled and cut in long strips with seeds removed. (Overgrown cucumbers work best. Watermelon rind works also.)
4 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
1 oz. red food color
3 (3-oz. pkgs) red hot cinnamon candies
5 lbs. sugar (SPLENDA or Sugar/Splenda mixture)
12 cinnamon sticks
Pickle Crisp or Calcium Chloride

1st day: Simmer 3 hours in a brine of 1 cup vinegar, red food coloring, and enough water to cover. Drain and throw away the brine.

Dissolve red hot cinnamon candies in 3 cups cold water.

Bring to boil a brine of Splenda/sugar, 3 cups vinegar, cinnamon, and the dissolved red hot candies.
Pour this brine over the cucumbers, and let stand for 24 hours.

2nd day: Drain and reserve liquid. Reheat and pour over the cucumbers again.

3rd day: Repeat as for 3rd day.

4th day: Heat cucumbers in brine.

Place Pickle Crisp or Calcium Chloride (1 tsp/pint) in each hot, clean jar

Pack into hot jars, and seal while hot.

Does anyone know if you process with a boiling water bath and, if so, for how long?

Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here