Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sane_psycho

Fall and Winter Gardens

sane_psycho
15 years ago

What vegetables can I plant for a winter garden. Last winter i was bored out of my mind and even a little depressed that I couldn't grow anything. Where I am I supposed to buy the seed for winter gardens if everyplace puts everything that has to do with gardening up.

Oh please not another boring winter.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• roxy_girl
    15 years ago

You might try buying your seeds online, I just ordered some fall/winter veggie seeds at Trade Wind Fruits but lots of other seed companies have fall/winter type seeds also...just a thought. I'm planting some f/w squashes, lettuce, spinach, peas, tomatoes, broccoli, and turnips. I have a greenhouse so I can extend my growing season quite a bit, also it keeps me from being so bored all winter.

Dena

Here is a link that might be useful: TWF/Veggies:

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

I use a cold frame. Sounds fancy but it's just pvc pipe(cheap) holding some 6 mil plastic(cheap) off the plants while protecting them from frost
    PJ

• popcornhill
    15 years ago

Hey sane...I do not know where you live but try to find a feed store somewhere close. I went today to get some green bean seeds. One place was out already but I found what I needed at the next store. Now these stores are not in the town where I live so I had to drive about 30 miles to get there. Good luck, just don't go "IN" on us.......DT

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Feed stores and mail order were where I would find most of my fall veggie seeds. You might also call your county Master Gardeners Association and see if they have a fall plant sale that will include good transplants for your area!

• sane_psycho
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I live in Mesquite, and I can go to a feed store called Kearney's (I think) on Beltline and see if they have seeds. Yeah I would love to have a greenhouse, but since I'll be off the college soon, and my parents will be moving it really kills that idea =(. I'll read up on cold frames, but I really wanted stuff that I'll be able to plant in the ground, unless I could build the cold frames over the ground that is...
    And popcornhill, the "IN" thing to me a minute but lol.

I was discussing the idea with my parents and my Dad actually suggested online. Thanks for the link roxy.

Thanks people. =)

• vwtx
    15 years ago

Calloways, in Mesquite, still has plenty of seeds. I seem to remember Lowe's having some as well. Wal Mart and Lowe's usually get transplants for winter veggies (broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, etc.) sometime in late August or September.

• shebear
    15 years ago

Oh yeah you can plant in the ground inside a coldframe. And you might want to check out Rhodes nursery over there....I've never been there but heard really good things about them.

• hibatt
    15 years ago

You can grow a lot of stuff in DFW in the winter. I grow lettuce (just throw the seed out in a small area), cilantro, and spinach. The cilantro grows best in the winter here, it goes to seed very early in the spring.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I just found a TON of seeds for a great price about 5 blocks from my house. See the link below for my other post about it. Boy, was I excited!

~Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: I practically stole from Wal-Greens!