Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_mcgirt_gw

Native TX Gardner Needing to Use Non-Native Bamboo

Dirt_McGirt
9 years ago

Hi,

I am in inner loop Houston and have tried to use only native Texas plants at our House, particularly plants with high wildlife value for birds, butterflies, host plants for butterfly larva, etc.

However, I have just learned an open lot next to me that is one of a handful of non deed restricted lots in our neighborhood will have 2 four story town homes built 3 feet from our fence line that will tower over our backyard. This is a neighborhood of primarily 1930-194X single family homes. The town homes will be directly over our backyard on the right side (but not our house or front yard).

Next to the fence the town homes will be is approximately a 3 foot wide bed I can plant a hedge, so I do not have a lot of space to work with.

Is there any viable option other than a tall bamboo? Specifically I am looking at a clumping (not running!) type, probably timber bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii). It gets 40-55 feet high and as a clumping bamboo should be decently behaved.

How bad is this to someone trying to be a good native Gardner?

I hate to plant something with no native or wildlife value, but what else can block a 4 story townhouse with only a few feet to work with? And this would be only 1 relatively short side of our backyard.

Comments (6)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

What about a pergola with native wisteria to cover you from above? I can't imagine that even a 45 foot tall screen would block a 4 story building.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Bummer. That said, I am not a purest about anything. I think that if most of your yard is catering to wildlife , that this will not tip the long term effect. I think that bamboo is a good dirt builder and birds love it. Wildlife is also attracted to non native species.. My only concern is the damage that it might do to the foundation over the years. The clumpers do expand out in a formidable root mass when happy. Are they allowed to build right up to the plot line?

I had old ubiquitous running bamboo that we contained in retaining walls and it got above 2 floors and would have done most of the third floor. I imagine with the hanging over of the crown yours will create zones of privacy, maybe not complete privacy. I think that you will get used to it after a decade or so. I found that we are flexible humans and the allusion of privacy is often just as good as complete privacy in our minds..

Is there anything else that you can plant. I suspect that the bamboo does capture rain in the leaves and mosquitos love it or so some people say. Others say that is a myth. I had an awful mosquito problem and I had a lot of bamboo in the neighborhood. I also had a river not far away and a dry creek bed with wallows.. I read somewhere that it was the bamboo that attracted them but I have also read the opposite..

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Not many better options than bamboo when small footprint, great height, rapid growth, and evergreen are all required. Will they actually make 40ft+ in Houston? A variety of birds love the neighbor's 20ft+ tall bamboo on our fence-line, so seems to have plenty of wildlife appeal. Not sure about the mosquitoes, though the area around the bamboo is definitely not the worst spot for them in our yard.

Some well placed 'Slender Silhouette' sweetgums would be almost native and could eventually provide some seasonal privacy to 40ft+. But roots could be a problem if can't be positioned at least 4 or 5 ft away from any pavement. Wantonamara: I think that you will get used to it after a decade or so. I found that we are flexible humans and the allusion of privacy is often just as good as complete privacy in our minds.

Uncertain how true this is, but probably better for our sanity if is since mounting a security camera to a gable can now negate a few decades of privacy hedge growth even on single story buildings. Placement is lightly regulated, if at all, and the installers want to mount them high for protection, coverage, flexibility, and cost.... and the technology will only become better, more discrete, and ubiquitous in the years ahead.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Slender Silhouette' sweetgum

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Bostedo, I live out where I can not even see a neighbors driveway or house so I can do naked gardening if I so choose but it was not always so. I am an urban person first and having a yard in downtown Philly was an exception my parents did not have. We had a roof garden. Privacy was always an allusion but one FELT secluded in the beautiful cared for corners. That is what I was talking about. We had several skyscrapers of prying eyes grow above our row house roof, but I always saw them as empty with people at work. I know, a delusion at best. I think we grow used to many invasions and they become the norm after awhile. what was hated becomes a piece of static force that enters into our design considerations just as the type of soil and the sun that it blocks. What was full sun is now a shade garden to be. Good luck, Dirt-McGirt on making your peace with this intrusion.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Here, deed restrictions are secondary to city ordinances;
    does Houston not have code, or ordinances, or some such thing?

I would think that you & your neighbors could protest the construction of something that's not only intrusive but absolutely out of kilter with the rest of the neighborhood.

It sounds like a guaranteed eyesore & a source of light pollution if the builder or buyers install outside lights for accent or security past the first story.

Before you spend any money, you might research to be sure that the bamboo you're looking at would actuallly reach 40' where your are.

If I were in your boots, I'd also put room-darkening & noise-dampening window treatments, & maybe storm windows or triple glazed windows if possible, on the side of the house that is exposed to this mess.

I wish you the best.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Sounds like OP is in Houston proper (vs Bellaire, Southside Place, West U., etc), which is probably still the largest US city without zoning. Land use is largely controlled by deed restrictions. In their absence, just about anything goes that can satisfy the codes dealing with parking, setback, access, and the typical safety/environmental requirements. Probably not many other angles for stopping this sort of out-of-place building in Houston. Though, could try to discuss the window types and locations over the backyard with the builder/owner. Small chance of any influence, but might get lucky. Have seen transom, textured/stained glass, and glass block windows used nicely on new multistory homes built in established neighborhoods that provided natural light while preserving much of the neighbors' privacy.

Wantonamara, Well explained - Thanks!