Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Look who I found in my fountain

cynthianovak
9 years ago

He made me laugh so I wanted to share. I had no idea there were any toads around. One night I went past the big fountain basin and I spotted him ready to dive in.

Came back with my camera and he was in position. I keep the edge stones stacked in the basin just in case some critter falls in but I never realized how useful they could be for this little hunter. Can you see his toes?

Comments (12)

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

Great shot!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

As long as he's not a cane toad...please don't let him get sucked into the pump (lol) and drown. Set him gently on the ground in a cool shady spot and he'll resume his job of keeping your yard/garden safe from insects.
    Toads are not aquatic and drown easily..they don't even swim well.

This post was edited by dbarron on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 8:40

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dbarron I was concerned that he might not find the stack of edge stones but I was foolish...he was quite at home. The pump is behind a barrier so I don't see it and it can't pull him in. He can easily climb onto the stones because they are rough and I have them set just off enough that he or any critter can use it as steps.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Aww, looks like he/she might be a little American frog, if it starts singing, it's a male and if he gets a mate and they stay around, you will have strings of eggs all in you pond. Next year a whole bunch of bug eaters, LOL
    Yea

Here is a link that might be useful: frog info

• MKull
    9 years ago

Great picture Cynthia.

My money is on a Gulf Coast Toad (Bufo nebulifer). They and the Texas Toads (Bufo speciosus) around here are the reason I don't walk around the house at night barefoot or without ample lighting. They aren't fun when they squish between your toes :( I swear they came in with our imported soil. The first couple of years of living here we were working on the house itself. Then when we did the landscaping in the front we brought in about 25 yards of soil. With all the new plants and water, came the toads...like magic.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I didn't realize Gulf Coast had gotten up to Cynthia's neck of the woods
    Either way, hope you get many more Cynthia!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

How cute. Too bad they are soooo loud at night. I have found that if you have a water feature, you will soon have toads, and frogs, and all kinds of creatures.

• MKull
    9 years ago

Jolana, herpsoftexas has their range map all the way up to the lower OK border. The green is 1998- and orange is +1998. We might have to start calling them Gulf 'Region' Toads :D.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herps of Texas info

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so glad I posted this...what fascinating info. No croaking sounds so I assume he's a she! No drowned toads in the basin so she must have it figured out. Thank you all! c

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Hmm. I have had a bunch of them in my yard for several years and have never heard them croaking.

Here is a link that might be useful: B. nebulifer

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Wow, Gulf region toads, hahaha
    Who would have thought
    Thanks for the info

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

That's a darling picture, Cynthia. Toads can end up in the oddest places. More than once the water wouldn't come out of the watering can spout. When I look down the spout I see a toad face staring back at me. They crawl up into the spout to keep from drowning.

The toads around here trill, or so I thought. I've never actually observed them as they make the trilling sound, but was told toads were the source of the sound I sometimes hear beneath my bedroom window at night.

Texas amphibians and their calls:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_diversity/texas_nature_trackers/amphibian_watch/amphibian_species/

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas toads, Bufo speciosus, sound like this ...