Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pequin pepper (Capsicum annuum)

Posted by scotty66 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 1:10

I had been looking around the Austin area for a wild Pequin pepper (Capsicum annuum) plant for awhile and finally gave up and bought one. Very lovely plant in a 10" hanging basket, it is very bushy almost 2 feet across. has several small flowers and even a few tiny peppers forming.

1st question: should I plant it in the ground now (I have a partial shade area picked out) or should I wait for spring?

2nd question, I have heard that proximity to other pepper plants will cause hybridization. I have a few jalapeno plants in my vegetable garden. how much of a concern is this and how far apart would the plants have to be to avoid this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pequin pepper (Capsicum annuum)

I can't help you with your two questions, but I have found them growing wild at Pease Park along the creek. They were on a sloped bank, thick with cedar and other stuff.

o

I'd plant it in the spring given that the plant is less tolerant to cold than heat. Because the fruits are determined by the genetics of the parent plant, I don't think you need to worry about unusual jalapeno hybrids.

Ty

o

Wouldn't that be a surprise? You go to cook up some Tex-Mex with the mild native peppers and end up with mini Jalepenos!

o

reread the article about the hybrid and think i undertand. the seeds of the peppers might grow into hybrids (if cross pollinated).
I do plan on harvesting some seeds from the pequin... so I think i will try to keep them on opposite sides of my property.

Here is a link that might be useful: another Capsicum annuum thread with mention of hybrid.

o

I am growing a new pepper this year called a fajita pepper, supposedly a cross between a green bell and a jalapeno.........my husband thinks they do not have enough heat, but too much for me.

o

I can eat hot peppers but I don't like it when they over power the dish and make everything taste like a hot pepper. I also really like hot stuff that's been cooled off with creme cheeses, sour creams and the like.

o

I've had these growing for several years....Arlington, TX.

They are tough, return from seed and I've never tried one because I've heard they are really hot.

Birds like the fruit. They stay attractive until the first hard freeze about December here.

I was told that peppers are one plant that you [in that case it was "I"] should start over from seed because the old plants are prone to carry over disease that could infect other peppers.

Soooo, I suppose if I were you I'd put it in a pot where it can be happy. I believe you said something about a hanging basket. I have hanging basket begonias sitting on top of soil in pots on the ground...in their baskets. The soil helps protect them and they look gorgeous without me assaulting their roots.

You could gather the little gems and replant next year and enjoy it this year too.

c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here