Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaf_479

Mid day wilting??

aaf_479
9 years ago

My husband waters (fairly well) before he leaves for work at around 7am everyday. By lunch time my 4ft tall AND 2ft tall cucumber plants leaves are wilting. They do get full sun until around 3pm. They are on a trellis that is up against a fence. Is this normal? I'm still new to gardening here in Texas and never has this happen in NY . I'm concerned about heat stress ruining the flavor of my cucumbers or killing the plants completely. I also usually water around 4 or 5pm with this heat and lack of rain we've been having lately. We've watched storms pass by us or disappear before getting here, but no rain to speak of here in Windcrest. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Comments (12)

• MKull
    9 years ago

Do the leaves return to normal after the sun passes? Wilting is a natural defense mechanism. By wilting they lower the surface area, allowing less evaporation. When they cool down they bounce back. If they bounce back pretty quick, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Does it affect the flavor? I can't answer that one but I'm confident someone else will.

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

Welcome to Texas and forget everything you learned about gardening in NY. Yes, I'm sure your cucumbers will be fine like mkull above said. I doubt the taste will be affected because lots of people grow them around here in these conditions. Carrots, on the other hand, are an entirely different story!

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

"Welcome to Texas and forget everything you learned about gardening in NY."

That statement ought to be gilded and framed.

It is quite astonishing reading through the advice in the general Gardenweb Veggie forum, and thinking -- holy cow, they sure don't live in Texas!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, we just had a dustup in the Perennials forum with regards to the differences in climate across the US. I've gardened in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Houston...they're a lot alike (lol).

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

My cucumbers are not doing well. I hope they bounce back with a cool down. Lots of things will really take off as it cools down. That might be tomorrow ( here to dreaming) and it might be in October.

• aaf_479
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL!!! Yes, I have come across things here that I have never seen before in my LIFE !!! (and I've lived in quite a few states- Military family and married into the military.) You guys have some pretty prehistoric looking bugs here. Never saw a leaf footed bug before, the multitude of different wasps and yellow jackets, and what the heck is THAT?!? Scale bug... LOL I have been having a time. I came to the conclusion that my cucumbers were OVER RUN with aphids and they were literally sucking the life out of them. This was my first experience with actually SEEING ants farm aphids. We had aphids in NY but the colony on 1 leaf was staggering. I was surprised since I had sprayed the plants 2 weeks ago because I did see a few on the underside of some leaves, but it had gotten MUCH worse. I had used a "Garden Safe" I suppose you could call it organic spray. Apparently, they were uneffected. SO, today I went to Rainbow gardens and asked for the "hard stuff". I knew it would be different here. I knew I had a lot to learn about texas gardening, but WOW!!! I feel like a novice all over again. Thanks everyone and any other tips would be great.

• MKull
    9 years ago

Do you mind posting what Rainbow suggested? Most of the people there are wonderful, but there's one or two that really shouldn't be giving advice. Neem oil works excellent on Aphids.

• aaf_479
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Safer brand tomato and vegetable insect killer".

• paradisecircus
    9 years ago

I'm still very new to gardening but I also experienced summer wilt and worried my plants were dying but learned quickly that wasn't the case. I had a Serena Angelonia "Archangel" that is a heat and sun lover. In the hottest months, it would soften and droop in the heat but as soon as the sun would start setting, it would perk up. When the heat would subside a bit and hover around the 90s, the Angelonia thrived.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I use a drench made out of orange oil, molasses and a tad of Dawn or Castile soap for the ants. I think I googled the recipe.

• aaf_479
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok! Sounds good!!! Thanks! I think found the mound. It was hidden under a weed right outside the garden.