Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit Trees

Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 8:13

How do fruit trees do in this type of weather ?
(DFW area) Over 100's days and over 80's nights.
I'm thinking maybe I should plant a pear and/or peach tree.
Or other suggestions maybe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit Trees

Don't know about those, Ruth, but my fig tree was loaded with figs, thought I would have enough to make preserves, and now they are sun dried on the tree. Think I will just remove the net and let the mockingbirds have them. I do know that peaches require a certain number of chilling nights in the winter to produce good peaches. I am definitely not an expert on fruit trees.

o

We have a fig tree in a large pot, but no fruit this year.
Critters get the figs when it does have some.
There are apple and pear trees loaded with fruit in my neighborhood. I just don't know if they taste good.
We bought some local apples years ago and didn't like them.
We had a peach tree when we first moved here, but it died the next year.
My neighbor had one a few years and never got any ripe peaches. They seemed to just fall off the tree while they were still small and green.
I know they grow well in the hill country and Parker county.

o

There were peach and plum trees in the orchard (now the mini donkeys pasture), but they died during the first really big drought after we moved here in '92. The fruit was very good and they did well for a few years before their demise. There was also a wonderful apple tree up there that produced excellent fruit, but I have no idea which variety it was..........the apples were green and quite large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here