Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find info on maxiimum temp tolerated by various plants

Posted by jimigunne 9A (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 8:49

I am gardening near Lake Mathis in South Texas. Every day with clear sky in August runs well over 100 deg F, yesterday was 111F in the shade just outside the kitchen door! Seeds are not germinating at all under a big carport awning...but I need to get seeds started for fall vegetables. (the carport awning area stays a bit cooler, around 4 deg. or so so---- it probably hit 107 yesterday) Even though mulched heavily now, most of my (all young) fruit trees are dying (low-chill peach and plum and a Satsuma). Only a Quince and two apple varieties are still growing. All the bamboo seedlings in pots under the carport have died.

Although it is easy to find the lowest temp a plant or tree can take in winter, it is not very often that an internet article tells you what the max temp is that it can take. The growing zone designations are too general, especially when you live in a place with such high summer temps! So I was wondering if there is some database of plants/trees that gives MAX temp tolerated? Then I would know what plants are a waste of time and money here.
Also I have heard that although canteloupe like full sun, in very hot climate/summers, they benefit from partial shade. So I am wondering if the problem with the fruit trees could be that they need some partial shade (problematic to provide....there are no full-grown trees anywhere around to provide any shade) Thanks to all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find info on maxiimum temp tolerated by various plan

I'm sure everyone on this forum will appreciate your predicament! In zone 9, it is probably even more difficult. Since I'm in zone 8, I usually look for items that are said to grow at least one zone higher. Not fool proof, but it helps. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else knows...

o

Sunset Magazine has divided North America into climate zones that are unique to particular areas. They take into account annual precipitation as well as summer and winter temperatures. Your zone is either 28 or 29. Sunset's website has plant recommendation for each zone.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate zones in Texas

o

Here are some links I find useful:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
http://naturalgardening.blogspot.com/2009/03/vegetable-seed-germination-temperatures.html
http://www.seedman.com/veggerm.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here