Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Dragonflies

beachplant
10 years ago

I made these for our garden out of an old broken chair.
Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragonflies

Comments (13)

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Tally, it says that album is 'Private', so I guess you are the only one who can see it.

Jim

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, let`s try this again! I set it to public again.
    Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: dragonflies

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

What fun and colorful dragonflies. I love 'um and your originality in creating them!

One day a few weeks ago I looked out to see about 15 real dragonflies joyfully zipping around the yard. Next day they were gone.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Very nice, Tally. What's the lavender flower in one of your pictures that resembles a type of passion flower?

Omar

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don`t know the latin name of that one, at one time I did. Lavendar star is the common name. I`ll bring you cuttings in the fall. It gets really big.
    Tally Ho!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

They are really pretty. Are they difficult to make? What are the wings made of? I love they way they are grouped together in your garden. Thanks for sharing.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Thank you, Tally. Do you happen to know if it is cold hardy in zone 8?,

Omar

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Omar-Grewia Cafra is the latin name. Sorry, I am no help on hardiness

Sunnysa, they weren`t hard, just kind of time consuming. I gave them 2-3 coats of paint then 2-3 coats of a spray coating so had to keep waiting on them to dry.
    The wings on some of them are just wire, bent and wrapped and the second group has wings made from an old window blind. They look like copper.
    Tally Ho!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tally. The wings do look like copper. The paint job you did looks beautiful. I just might have to steal that idea from you. I really enjoyed looking at all the variations of your work. Great job!

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Dang it, Tally. According to the info I got from the net, the grewia is hardy only to zone 9 and I am in zone 8. Thank you for the offer.

Omar

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sunny! I bought a dragonfly at a garden tour and did my own take on them.

Omar, these make a great bonsai!
    Tally Ho!

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

I saw the pictures on the net. They do make great bonsais. I grew bonsais for 6-7 years but I gave up doing it because it was too time and attention consuming. Every time we went on vacation I had to find somebody to babysit them. I could lose in 2-3 days what I had been taking care of for years. One day I said: "No more", and started growing easy to grow plants, natives, weeds and invasives.

Omar

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

How cute! I love the little legs and feet!