Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
animals and west nile virus

Posted by bedford8a 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 9:00

I lived in Atlanta when there was a West Nile epidemic there a few years ago and remember how many of the larger birds disappeared due to the virus. It took a few years until the crow and blue jay numbers returned to normal. I recall newspaper reports of "another blue jay found dead tested positive for West Nile" and such. Have you noticed any dead birds? I am concerned abuot my dogs and there are two fledging hawks on my street that I've watched since they hatched and am worried about them, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: animals and west nile virus

I do remember hearing how hard WNV is on corvids (jays, crows, ravens...) not large birds in general, but according to the CDC dogs may not be affected at all, similar to humans, who rarely develop symptoms.

o
RE: animals and west nile virus

it hit the blue jays here hard a few years back. We haven`t gotten very many calls about dead birds this year, usually when something is on the news about west nile they always mention birds, then for the next few weeks anyone that find a dead bird seems to call the poison control center.
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here